Wiring for rear speakers

Hi there,

I recently bought a 2003 110 TD5 Utility Station Wagon (Crewcab). I will be getting a new stereo (one that plays something more up to date than cassettes!!). I also want to to put in two rear speakers, installing them in the divide between the cabin and the back. What's the best way to get the wires back .. will I have to take off the roof lining in order to run the wires back. Is it just easier to drop it in on next service and get 'the man' to do it?

Thanks for any info

Mark

I ran my amp phono from the head unit in the dash, up the the left hand A pillar where the rear wash pipe runs, then along the roof line and then down past the middle seats, seat belt C pillar to the amp. The power went the other side. The amp output then goes back up the left hand B pillar and then along the roof line to the speakers in the back.

Guest diesel_jim

Not sure if all Td5's have it, but the bulkhead i used om my project110 has a strange plug "under the bonnet" area, just next to the clutch master cylinder,

See them here <---clicky

it turns out they're for "south african spec stereo wiring" but my bulkhead was clearly a UK spec one, so maybe they fitted these to other models.

anyhow, this 4 pin plug has 4 cables, 2 pairs, which terminate at the very back of the 110 inside the little metal covers that cover the back of the tail-lights, meant for those plastic speaker brackets that you can get.

so have a look, you may already have the wiring in place.

Hi Mark,

I designed a rear speaker enclosure for my Defender, and ran the wires along each side of the vehicle along the inside of that shelf below the roof. Kept the wires hidden by running them through some rubber tubing and squashing them between the bolts up there, so its all nice & neat & only took a few minutes to do.

I ran the wires through the roof-lining edge in the cab without having to take it off, and then down the sides of the windscreen & into the dash.

The system sounds wonderful & was not a lot of work to do it either. :rolleyes:

I can post pics of the rear enclosure if you like?

Martin

Guest diesel_jim

From what i just typed...^^^^

thinking about it... that plug wasn't on my bulkhead, but on the rear chassis loom (which terminates at the middle of the bulkhead,near the clutch master cyl)

It's got to be on the chassis loom... how else would the cable get to the rear of the vehicle! :rolleyes:

sorry for the confusion.

Hi Mark,

I designed a rear speaker enclosure for my Defender, and ran the wires along each side of the vehicle along the inside of that shelf below the roof. Kept the wires hidden by running them through some rubber tubing and squashing them between the bolts up there, so its all nice & neat & only took a few minutes to do.

I ran the wires through the roof-lining edge in the cab without having to take it off, and then down the sides of the windscreen & into the dash.

The system sounds wonderful & was not a lot of work to do it either. :rolleyes:

I can post pics of the rear enclosure if you like?

Martin

Exactly what I did for my 90. Works a treat. P.S. MDF painted with hammerite looks remarkably like plastic :D

Thanks eveyone for advice,

Unfortunately Diesel Jim don't seem to have any loose cables, so will have to do the same as Godlykepower (Martin some pics would be useful - thanks)!

Having said that I am a bit of a newbie so finding alot of the components is slow. I bought the Haynes Defender workshop manual, but to honest it's not great! Does anyone have a good book to recommened (preferrably with lots of photos)?

Thanks again

Mark

Mark, here are the pics of the enclosure. No point taking pics of the wiring, as its hidden! If you need any more help, drop me a line.

Martin

post-3030-1215613703_thumb.jpg

post-3030-1215613726_thumb.jpg

EDITED: Actually, you can see in the 1st picture where the wire is going. The second picture was taken before I threaded the wire along the shelf, thats why its hanging down.