Oil pressure light flashing on!!

Tomas4x4

Hello,

On my 1996 300tdi disco 96k miles, the oil pressure light keeps flickering on and off after ive done a few miles. I changed the oil and filter and rocker cover gasket on sunday which seems a bit of a coincidense! The wire to the oil pressure switch seems fine as I thought I may have knocked it wen I pressure washed it off before I changed the gasket.

Has anyone got any suggestions as im a bit worried that some major damage could be done!

All suggestions and advise is greatly appreciated..

Cheers.

Tom.

Sender as Les said. My last 300Tdi 90 had about nine new senders under warranty - they are Bllcks!!! Water ingress is a particular problem, they even die after being splashed in a puddle never mind completely submerged.

The 300tdi has generally high oil pressure, so I would think it is your sender at fault. Even high-mileage 300tdis normally have oil pumps that are within tolerances. If you get really worried, drop the sump and change the pressure regulator piston and spring, often the springs lose their tension and drop the pressure at idle. Use genuine parts for this, none of that Britpart rubbish.

Yes, the light only comes on when the revs are below 800 rpm now. Ive got a spare sender so i shall try replacing that and see what happens. Someone mentioned it could be the camshaft bearings have shifted causing low oil pressure, has anyone experienced this?

How about fitting an oil pressure guage? Has anyone done this?

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated!

Tom.