Intermittent rroblem with steering

Hi,

I have noticed that when I go through a large puddle on the road my steering goes very stiff for about 10 seconds, I do have power steering. I have checked the fluid and there is no water in it, could it simply be the power steering belt slipping due to the force of the water??

Thanks in advance...

*Sorry meant to read problem

Hi,

I have noticed that when I go through a large puddle on the road my steering goes very stiff for about 10 seconds, I do have power steering. I have checked the fluid and there is no water in it, could it simply be the power steering belt slipping due to the force of the water??

Thanks in advance...

*Sorry meant to read problem

Yes, most likely to be slipping belt. If it is tight, it may need a new one as the belt may have become too ' slippy'.

Regards,

Diff

could it simply be the power steering belt slipping due to the force of the water??

Nothing to do with the 'force' of the water, just its lubricating properties, as it drenches the belt and pulley.

Definitely worth checking the tension, before replacing it or trying a belt dressing.

As mentioned above, definitely the belt...........at least its cheep to fix :) .

Make sure the tension is correct and belt is in good condition, it will be one or the other.

I have found that belt conditioners do not last very long when used in the wet and only mask the problem.

Rod