Help R-R Got the shakes bad!

badman

:angry: Can anyone help...been to 2 garages and all they do is scratch there heads!...p-38 1998 4.0 , got the shakes bad at 55 mph then goes and back again at 75 mph...its not the wheels as ive had them balanced..had the bushes checked and the only ones that look a bit worn are the Hocky sticks...front axel anti twist mounts...cant find anytrhing else! Feels like its going to shed a bloody wheel!

post-10662-1217412953_thumb.jpg

try another set of wheels first if they are 18" very prone to buckling also the tyre cases deform as well balancing counteracts the weight not a mishapen rim.

if that does not cure it next would be a ball joint poss shock or very rare worn steering damper

My P38 does the same and so do many others according to RR-net. Passenger arm rest shakes so badly i flip it up if i have no passenger sat in the seat. I took the read NS wheel( 16" ) for a rebalance as it had no weights at all and they said it was buckled so could not do it. Put the spare on and it made no difference. All the wheels are supposedly balanced ok. It does seem to be shuddering most on the NS rear and there is no vibration via the steering wheel. I do have low level sort of bumping sound from the rear NS corner, so that may be what is causing the shuddering problem, but i can't see anything obvious underneath the vehicle that would cause the bumping. If you find out the cause pls post it here as i would love to know what the problem is.

Nigel

Prop shafts/UJ's or do P38s have those rubber joints?

P38a's use the same UJ as other (recent) Landies. And they do wear and can cause terrible vibrations. Check for play, best is to lift the axle of the ground so there is no load on the propshaft that could mask the play.

First time around I was convinced it was the front propshaft, but found no evidence at all. I then proceeded to check wheel bearings and balljoint (thus lifting the car) but found no significant play either. Upon rechecking the propshaft, I did detect a lot of play, which must have been masked the first time.