5 speed + 1.22 transfer box on V8

Rev counter seems about right (tickover to max) and speed was taken from 'road angel' and it is low geared so looks like transfer box then.

I'll just check the numbers later and see what casing it is.

I've been told that my excessive transmission slop could be gearbox or middle diff related so not very happy at the moment as I only bought it 900 miles ago and I've had to do props and front diff as well :angry:

A bit like mine then, bought online unseen, got it transported home and found a rusty chassis, noisy driveline, wouldnt hardly run, backfired all the time. At the price I paid though it wasnt a total loss, had plans for it anyway, but not quite to the extent neccesary. Still has been easier to rebuild a replacement chassis ready to swap the bodywork.

Not quite like that :(

Went to see it and had a quick look round and heard it run. The vendor was a true landy enthusiast and had done a lot of work on it including a recent engine.

Didn't look underneath as I was assured that the chassis was OK and it was except for a couple of small holes in out riggers which I wasn't bothered about.

Was taken for a drive and offered a test drive which I declined as it was a long way down out of the cab and up again as I have a very bad chest and didn't want the embarassment of gasping for breath for ten minutes afterwards (disabled person). Any way, it all seemed to work with no rattles and bangs from engine or gearbox so I bought it on the theory that anyone that enthusiastic about his vehicle must be selling a good one.

I picked it up a week later and the transmission was clunking which I thought was typical for a land rover of its age so brought it home and parked it up as it was to be used for the occaisional towing of my car trailer. The wife told me to take it back but I didn't want the hastle of 'nowt wrong with that'....'it's a land rover'.....'they're all like that' ..etc etc..

Anyway, to cut a long story short, My son and I went to pick a van up on the trailer about a week later (first trip out) and there were some horrible noises coming from underneath which turned out to be rusty prop U Js one of which had collapsed , there was also 20 to 30 deg of play in the front diff, and a vibration when pulling had developed.

By this time I had done about 500 miles at no more than 50 mph in fact the return trip with the van (240 miles) was done at 45 mph.

Over the last few weeks I have refurbed the front prop and bought a replacement rear as the slider was iffy but I still have problems with vibration and lots of slop in the transmission which makes it a pig to drive.

The reason it is now a pig is that throttle response is now instant since I set up the carbs and this leads to the transmission snatching at the mearest touch of the throttle pedal whereas before it had a smoother response.

Position at the moment ? Had it just over two months and done three trips out and a bit of local running about, 900 miles in all.

The gearbox is noisy in first (sounds like a bearing) the transmission is banging and clunking, three bottom door hinges are shot, the back step has broken, the thermostat was in wrong way round and not located propperly, the temp gauge is faulty, the rev counter is faulty, It has a leaky swivel ball seal, the brakes are carp (rear adjusters), the sunroof leaks badly, I've found chassis rot under the mud, the front bulkhead is worse than I was told and a hole has appeared in the body just below the nearside bottom door hinge. One of the body bracing bars just in front of the rear wheel was held in place with sealant (not checked the other side yet). There is a big chunk of the drivers floor rotted out and under the seat box is rotten.

I can fix most things and it's not a problem but I bought this particular vehicle because it said in the advert that it was mechanicaly sound ( I still have the printoff )

Broke down a few times (every time I've used it) Battery cut off problem, gas switchover problem, ign key stuck in ign, carbs flooding in wales (tow home /no gas/raining etc) back prop uj broke up coming back from Tesco, overheating,

I can't fix the gearbox or t/fer box , wheels off is too heavy for brake repairs as I am not up to it physically like I was a few years ago and also after paying £2700 for it I am broke :(

The guy I bought it from is getting annoyed as I have been posting problems etc from the time I bought it on the forum that he suggested I join so I have joined this lot instead :P

It'll have to be fixed eventually but I didn't want all this trouble that's why I went for an expensive one off an enthusiast, shows how wrong you can be don't it :angry:

Moral of story is, take a land rover expert with you when buying and don't believe a word the vendor says.

Rant Over :rolleyes:

Right, had a look underneath today and cleaned off the back of the transfer box to reveal an orange lable which reads 1.41 and FWD below it.

This means I have a 1.41 t/b but my speeds in the gears say I have a much lower one. I can pull from 20mph in 5th gear when it's running on 8 cylinders (which is becoming rarer every day now) so what do I do?

Chance a 1.22 and end up never using 5th or hope that the 1.41 I have isn't a 1.41 but has been doctored for some reason.

Or perhaps I'm wrong so I will check everything out again tomorrow. Seems strange though that the lable has survived 25 years intact so I'm thinking it's been changed as the info I have says it should have a 1.6 in it.

Confused I am, ... but getting there :)

the speedo may be reading wrong, remove the speedo cable at TB end, prise out the circular plate & twist out the speedo drive gear, it should be BLUE with 20 teeth for 90/110 running tyres of these sizes.7.50x16 or 235/85x16 or 255/85x16

the speedo may be reading wrong, remove the speedo cable at TB end, prise out the circular plate & twist out the speedo drive gear, it should be BLUE with 20 teeth for 90/110 running tyres of these sizes.7.50x16 or 235/85x16 or 255/85x16

Checked the speedo with road angel and it's ten per cent slow which is probably down to the tyres.

Checked speeds with chart supplied and according to that e.g. showing 30 mph at 3000 in 3rd allowing for the ten per cent error I should be doing 34 and that is good enough I think.

Also other speeds in gears match up to it being a 1.6 t/b so I'm going with that.

Will look for a good gearbox and 1.4 t/b as a pair and do the lot I think although I don't know what vehicle would suit as a doner.

Will get someone who knows land rovers to have a look at it for me as soon as I can I think. :D