200 tdi conversion to v8

hello,

i am considering transplanting a v8 into my 1991 3dr 110 200 tdi defender...

first and foremost, which v8 engine is going to give maximum grunt in standard form ?

do i need a conversion plate to connect to the lt77s gearbox ?

is the standard gearbox ok to use with the v8 ?

etc etc .... :unsure:

alternativly, has anybody got a v8 90 who wishes to swap for my 110 ! :D

first and foremost, which v8 engine is going to give maximum grunt in standard form ?

The biggest one you can find :P

EFi is more powerful than carbs, RR/Disco engines make more power than defender / Series ones.

Yes, or source a V8 gearbox - you should have no trouble selling a 200TDi and gearbox to someone who wants to convert the other way.

If it's in good nick, yes.

hello,

i am considering transplanting a v8 into my 1991 3dr 110 200 tdi defender...

etc etc .... :unsure:

alternativly, has anybody got a v8 90 who wishes to swap for my 110 ! :D

The easiest route would be a 3.9, they're more available than 3.5s these days. If you're lucky enough to find a 4.2, that would be nice :D.

As for the gearbox, it will be easier to use one that stated life behind a V8, it will have the correct bell housing and input shaft sizes/lengths. Also if it is a Defender version that'll save work too as the selectors are not the same.

There were factory built V8s with LT77, but only as a 3.5 I think. It might not like the oomph of a bigger engine.

Choices are LT77, LT85 or R380. It is possible to change the selectors on a R380 and LT77 from Discovery to Defender type. I have not done this but I'm told it's not too tricky to do. The LT85 was only fitted to Defenders.

Hope this helps

Michael

Doh! Got beaten to it!

It is possible to change the selectors on a R380 and LT77 from Discovery to Defender type. I have not done this but I'm told it's not too tricky to do.

You were misinformed then, it means taking the gearbox apart and swapping the whole rear casting :o