Fox Air bump

jules

After a successful weekends racing I've decided the TMC could do with some Air bumps but I would like to see some examples of how people have fitted them to a Beam axle Land Rover chassis.

My truck is normal coil spung with 2.5" fox shox front and 2" rear all mounted through the springs.

I know Jim's truck had them but can't remember how they were mounted on the chassis to locate correctly on the axle a the springs are in the way???

After a successful weekends racing I've decided the TMC could do with some Air bumps but I would like to see some examples of how people have fitted them to a Beam axle Land Rover chassis.

My truck is normal coil spung with 2.5" fox shox front and 2" rear all mounted through the springs.

I know Jim's truck had them but can't remember how they were mounted on the chassis to locate correctly on the axle a the springs are in the way???

We'll talk on Thursday. If mine have turned up by then I'll bring one along with its mounting can so you can have a look.

I have been running hydrualic bump stops for about 18 months and they are awesome.

However, do buy the best you can afford and do buy the biggest diameter you can safely fit.

We use 2.5 inch dia with a 4 inch stroke and they are awesome.

The big problem is knowing how to fit them as there are not hard and fast rules on mounting these bad boys and very few who could offer advice.

We choose to mount them in the chassis rails at the rear and so they are in front of the axle this meant we could weld ur bracket to the axle and use spacers (if required) to adjust the height.

At the front they are positioned where the shocks would normally sit as our shocks are 14inch travel and are mounted infront of the spring seat.

Most manufacturers of these type of bump stops sell mounting tubes that can be bolt or welded to the chassis as required.

We use King and they suit our purposes very well, although i am aware of other cheaper units failing (Pm me as i am not prepared to name and shame them in public)

Once you have them you will never go back, they are lovely :D

Jim

bear in mind Jules - nothing tunable is a fit and forget, you can set them up to be linear or progressive in thier response, the "spring rate" is also infinatley adjustable so spending some time getting the settings right to suit your driving style and the vehicle dynamics is only going to be time well spent :)

not had any probs with Race Runners, we run 2" and slow a LOT of unsprung weight, a few of the Utah mob run the same with no issues

mountings no mystery, slip em inside a bump can and tighten 2 bolts. The cans are a piece of cake to make - a length of tube and a grinder gets it done - or you can buy em if you cant be bothered :)

DSCF16972007-04-07.JPG

Thanks for the help guy's

I'm using standard spring locations with my shock inside the spring and will be using Fox Air bumps as I have a mate that can supply them.

I know about the air bump mounts but its the location of the bump its self were the axle can mate properly together the airbump. The loads imposed on them must be massive in race conditions and I have never seen them on a race set up suspension I'm assuming I will need to extend a mount either in front or behind the axles with the bump chassis fixed and the axles needing plats to mate with them.

my current set up is all round a little soft with the car bottoms out quite easily so I'm also going up one valve setting all round on the fox's shox

At the last meeting there was a set of tractor ruts we were crossing at about 80mph and although there was no kick up from the rear the front sounded like it was in need of attention which is why I'm looking at them.