LPG and Diesel

stevegibbs

Many people spend loads of hard earnd cash on parts to give them more power, i should know cos iam one off them. 35 years on and iam still playing with my motors, buying this, tweging that etc. I have for many years been using lpg on all models of landrovers with v8's but have never used it on a diesel. Why not? becouse someone said years ago you cant. Well things have moved on, helped by cost and so i have put a lpg kit on one of my landrovers (got four at the moment) i put it on a 200tdi J reg disco with 140,000 miles on and guess what? it works like a dream. You have the option to use the extra power to play or save fuel or a bit of both, 30% more power when you want it of 30% diesel saving if your feeling like saving the planet i would like to hear other people's views.

Steve

Hallo Steve, Did you buy the lpg stuff as a kit and put it on yourself? Just wondered as I wouldnt mind adding lpg to my tow motor but cheaply as it doesnt do the milage to justify the big bucks charged by the usual conversion outlets.

There were several companies in the late nineties early twenties who ran atrics on night trunks using natural gas. The range was the restricting factor as they had ,I'd say , two 500 litre tanks strapped to the chassis but didn't go very far.

would be handy to use that if it was cheap enough, any one change cubic feet into litres ??? :)

hello steve by the way

The system uses the lpg gas from the tank not the liquid as most petrol systems do, this is in someways safer as the liquid will increase in volume by 250 times. So a small liquid leak can make a lot of gas. For those's who don’t know too much about LPG i suggest you do a little research yourselves but if not ask away I’ve been doing it a while so have picked up lots of info along the way which might save you time and money. Please remember, diesels cannot run on LPG, they run with LPG in its gas form added to the incoming air. Tinley Tec has some kits. The one I have was cheap to buy, old but new parts from 'zone one' found on eBay for fifty quid and a new tank with all the bits from Tinley Tec for 220, so cheap for the power gain. Setting it up is very very critical or damage will happen or at least the quickest decoke you’ve ever done. The power increase is amazing you have to use the gears, this gives you power without revving, great for towing gives a small engine the feel of a much larger one when you want it. It’s the same as putting nitro in a petrol engine but without the cost.

It also cleans the exhaust up by burning the excess fuel that all diesels put out. It save you money because it is only 60p per litre diesel is twice that, you use less of it compared to diesel as its more powerful its uses the diesel you put in more affectively so you use less to get the same power. If anyone wants some pics I will try and figure out how to upload them.

Steve

Here is a picture of the regulator, very small, one pipe in and one out and two wires. No water pipes required becouse it is not an evapotator just a gas regulator. And the tank, holds 40litres of lpg but uses gas takeoff not liquid. On/off switch on dash. Thats it.

post-10804-1218104295_thumb.jpg

post-10804-1218104321_thumb.jpg

Thanks Steve, I'll check it out. Any reason you wanted to avoid the fluid take off and evaporator type system

No not really all my other systems are liquid and i have no problems, but if it works and its simple and in this case cheap its a winner.

Many people spend loads of hard earnd cash on parts to give them more power, i should know cos iam one off them. 35 years on and iam still playing with my motors, buying this, tweging that etc. I have for many years been using lpg on all models of landrovers with v8's but have never used it on a diesel. Why not? becouse someone said years ago you cant. Well things have moved on, helped by cost and so i have put a lpg kit on one of my landrovers (got four at the moment) i put it on a 200tdi J reg disco with 140,000 miles on and guess what? it works like a dream. You have the option to use the extra power to play or save fuel or a bit of both, 30% more power when you want it of 30% diesel saving if your feeling like saving the planet i would like to hear other people's views.

Steve

Hi

Anyone out there know if its possible to run a td5 on lpg?

Ralph

Hello all, i dont know if this bit should be here or as a new topic, tell me if otherwise.

Just done my first all but non-stop trip to southport and back clocking up 432miles keeping to 65-75mph on M5/M6

and here are my fuel readings.

Both lpg and Derv tanks were full to start and filled when finished

Derv used = 9.7gals

lpg used 8.2 gal

Total fuel used 17.9gals

so average fuel consump. 24mpg at 70mph (adding both derv and lpg)

if only derv used would hve cost £104

but becouse lpg used as well and its half the price i paid out £77 :P

A saving of £27 and a very pleasent drive the pulling power in 5th gear is just amazing it would easly pull a higher gear or tow like a dream. I will use it to tow the horse box soon to compare it to my 3.9 v8

Steve

Sounds like an awfull lot of gas to me!!! I have not tried it but have read about it with the view to fumigating a cummins 6BT with it. I was going to be using between 10-20% probably more like 10% as it is hard on the cylinder head gasket as it advances the timing, the more gas the harder on the head gasket. Do you have an EGT gauge? I am wondering what this has done to your egt's by running such a high % of propane. Do you carry a spare head gasket? Propane might be approx half the price of diesel but it only contains 66% of it energy. Please keep us informed as I am genuinely interested but not as brave as you.

Gaza