kingdongs disco 200 tdi conversion.

kingdong

Hi scumduggler

yep that was the last thing i did before i came out of the garage just used a bit of pipe and an engine mount bolt and hose cliped the hose and the bolt to the pipe

cheers graham

1962 s11a swb

was a 2.1/4 petrol

now its a 200 tdi.

Graham,

Looking good... :) When I did mine, I changed my oil and filter befire firing the first time. I left the wire off of the fuel distributor while I cranked the engine, to make sure I had oil pressure, and no leaks, until the oil pressure light went out. Then connected the fuel distrubutor wire, and it started first bump... :) That way you prime the fuel and oil pumps at the same time, and can check for leaks before it starts running...

thanks for that rj good idea i gave it an oil and filter change when i did the timing belt thats another reason why i want to see it start

cheers graham.

:ph34r:

Hi Kingdong

Just finished putting a disco 200 in my 2a.

Used a 300 tdi filter box, 200 tdi rad & intercooler. inverted the intercooler and set it back 22mm from the rad, it then fits in the recess in the left wing, inverting it made the pipes fit easier and more clearance on the repositioned alternator. Used the series diesel elephant trunk from the airbox the the turbo inlet, cut & shut disco pipes for turbo to bottom of intercooler and a piece of flexible 'hot air' pipe for the int'cooler to manifold.

Removed the viscos fan and also cut the thread off the front of the water pump to give more clearance on the rad.

Rad hoses:- bottom hose from disco cut and joined to cut series btm hose. top hose, 2 x 90deg. bends joined. expantion tank on r/h wing. Electric fan in front of rad.

Oil cooler pipes fitted without modification, fuel filter mounted on new bracket from bulkhead ( std disco fuel lines ). modified rod linkage for accelerator.

Home made 62mm short exhaust exits between bulkhead support bracket and footwell, under outrigger, expansion box under seat box, exiting in front of n/s rear wheel.

Mine was already a diesel so wiring was simple, dont need the heater plugs ( well not this time of year ).

Battery now in the rear tub.

Think about how you'd remove the starter motor, if needed, when all the body work & exhaust is re-fitted!

Only one problem. as I don't have a servo fitted yet I left the vacuum pipe open. When running the engine this sucked enough air into the crankcase along with the natural crankcase presure to prevent the oil properly draining back to the sump. Result was the oil built up in the rocker box and eventually started flowing into the air filter via the crankcase breather tube!!!

I see from your photo the vacuum pump is open, if you haven't got a servo block the pipe off.

Get some sound proofing, you'll need it.

f..k so your saying strapping a 300 tdis sound proofing cover over the engine won't make the engine nice and quiet .

graham.

Hi guys

only managed to repipe all the cooling pipes on the engine today as i had to give my mate a hand with his

going to get some gaffer tape in the morning to join the oil cooler pipes together

so fingers crossed i will be going for the first start

graham.

Hi everyone

cut and mounted the front panel and fitted the 200 tdi radiator today i also had to swap the oil cooler pipes over at the oil filter end to make them fit the oil cooler ( will get some made up when i go back to work )

tomorrow i will have a go at the intercooler as i have tried it on with the wing on and radiator in place but the inner wing needs cutting so i will let you no how i get on tomorrow.

chees graham.

Hi everybody

well after painting the radiator and the bracketry i took the landy for a test drive went round the block twice it was funny because i was driving it with the wings and bonnet off poeple were giving me funny looks the engine ran great well chuffed.

graham.

how do you find it noise wise?

if the tdi engine has replaced an old 2.1/4d then the noise is probebly the same but the differance is that with a tdi you are getting somewere

wherehas with the 2.1/4d it is just all noise and the tdi is more ridgid doesn't shake itself to bits like the series d does.

graham.

forgot to say the rad is only to play with when i am happy with it i will get it recored as well as the oil cooler and the bottom hose as you can see they were all made to fit

Graham,

I guess I missed why the rad is mounted so hi to begin with... ???

Graham,

I guess I missed why the rad is mounted so hi to begin with... ???

because it has to be slightly out of the way of the relay arm but if i had had a brew and thought about it i would of rememberd to space it out which would allowed it to fit lower

graham.

Hi all

was working away all last week so i didn't get anything done but yesterday i fitted the radiator where it needed to be but have now decided to fit a 200 tdi radiator instead of a 300 tdi radiator as the bottom hose will fit better so i have ordered a new 200 tdi radiator from paddocks then all i need to do is to get the bottom hose from halfords which means the top hose and the bottom hose are the same.

if there is anyone out there fitting a 200 tdi radiator into a s11/111 the p/n for the hoses from halfords is HFH 215.

graham.

hi all

over the weekend i maneged to fit the new turbo fit the intercooler but not piped up fitted the new tdi rad fitted both wings + bonnet mounted the battery tray upside down under the passenger seat and painted all the bracketery of everything i have fitted so all i need to do now is buy and fit the intercooler pipes and refit the floor boards and g/box tunnel and then i am done.

graham.