steering joints

Just double checked the wheel bearings and endfloat after doing the swivels - but all ok, but I am still getting some kick back through the steering when I go over a few poor surfaces on our delightfully tarmaced roads at say 50mph and it seems a bit 'light' at speed.

Based upon findings elsewhere here it seems to point to steering joints or panhard bushes (?) The upper joint 'seems' to have a tiny bit of play in it when I check it in situ with somebody rocking the steering - should there be any at all?

Thanks

The little U/J's shouldn't have any play in them. You can grap the link shaft and oush/pull/twist it and you will feel any play (they will click). To check the panhard rod bushes - get someone to rock the steering and there should only be slight movement in the bushes either end.

Les.

Just double checked the wheel bearings and endfloat after doing the swivels - but all ok, but I am still getting some kick back through the steering when I go over a few poor surfaces on our delightfully tarmaced roads at say 50mph and it seems a bit 'light' at speed.

Based upon findings elsewhere here it seems to point to steering joints or panhard bushes (?) The upper joint 'seems' to have a tiny bit of play in it when I check it in situ with somebody rocking the steering - should there be any at all?

Thanks

Is there any play in the steering box? as that is another source of play along with the cv joints you mentioned, mine are pretty solid with very little play in them (just had them off to change the steering box out.

If the box has some play in a small turn of the top adjuster wil take it out.

Is there any play in the steering box? as that is another source of play along with the cv joints you mentioned, mine are pretty solid with very little play in them (just had them off to change the steering box out.

If the box has some play in a small turn of the top adjuster wil take it out.

thanks guys - guess i'll go back to the garage !!

yep - its the joint (the one with the rubber thingy) - but which part number for a 1998 model - Ive found three different ones !

Microcat = QLG100000

John Craddocks =QLC100080

Paddocks = QME500031

anyone know which is the right one? (Im inclined of course to go with the microcat - except neither craddocks or paddocks seem to recognise the part number...

• 1 month later...

YIPPEE!!!

I have finally replaced this steering shaft, which has resulted in the 'grinding' noise going from when turning the steering wheel at low speeds and when stationary, and also eliminated a lot of the kick back, shudder and vibrations I was getting!!

Turned out the top joint was seized.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions & help

This is now getting to be almost sorted - bar the transfer box :( oil leaks :( :( :(:( and rear wheel bearings :(:(