Oil Leak

Guest WALFY

I've finaly fitted my turbo that I purchased from Mo back along. This entailed changing the front timing chest. In effect I have converted my Disco 200TDI to DefenderTDI. Front chest, manifolds, PAS etc.

The problem I now have is that there is an oil leak through the chest via the tensioner pulley. I confirmed this by taking the front cover off and running it for a few minutes. Oil appears on the front edge of the pulley and drips from the back edge. The bolt goes right through to the block.

I've tried taking it off and putting a blob of mastic on the bolt and buttoning it all up. The mastic slowed the flow but didn't cure the problem.

My next option is to use tiger seal rather than mastic. After comparing the Disco chest there are no other ways of it comimg through. The cam seal is dry as is the crank seal. I can see no other way of the oil coming through.

Does anyone have any ideas of how to cure the leak.

I've finaly fitted my turbo that I purchased from Mo back along. This entailed changing the front timing chest. In effect I have converted my Disco 200TDI to DefenderTDI. Front chest, manifolds, PAS etc.

The problem I now have is that there is an oil leak through the chest via the tensioner pulley. I confirmed this by taking the front cover off and running it for a few minutes. Oil appears on the front edge of the pulley and drips from the back edge. The bolt goes right through to the block.

I've tried taking it off and putting a blob of mastic on the bolt and buttoning it all up. The mastic slowed the flow but didn't cure the problem.

My next option is to use tiger seal rather than mastic. After comparing the Disco chest there are no other ways of it comimg through. The cam seal is dry as is the crank seal. I can see no other way of the oil coming through.

Does anyone have any ideas of how to cure the leak.

Bit kludgy but PTFE tape on the threads might do it, provided you make sure there aren't wispy bits dropping where they shouldn't?

Take the bolt out and throw it away. Then it won't be a leak, it will be an oil gallery :ph34r:

Thanks :P . Then the timing belt would get a wee bit oily. At least the engine would get a regular oil change. About every tank of fuel :o:o:o

Same here. PTFE on the bolt, and a smear of silicon on th back of the idler. Buttoned it all up. But won't run it till tomorrow night. Give it all chance to seal properly. Well that's the idea anyway. Will run it up after I get back from my tour of the Dealerships tomorrow.