Rear Stub Axle, Inner Oil Seal fitted to V8 90's?

Warthog

Picked up some V8 Rear Halfshafts awhile back and now getting around to fitting them. But the V8 shafts i have do not have any oil seal areas on them? Is this the norm?

Do i just run the standard Stub Axle seal? Which im sure would not work properly? Or is there an alternative seal for the stub axle?

Cheers for any replies :i-m_so_happy:

Mark

Picked up some V8 Rear Halfshafts awhile back and now getting around to fitting them. But the V8 shafts i have do not have any oil seal areas on them? Is this the norm?

Do i just run the standard Stub Axle seal? Which im sure would not work properly? Or is there an alternative seal for the stub axle?

Cheers for any replies :i-m_so_happy:

Mark

V8 90 ?...drum braked or another LR ? vs 300 Disk braked ?? :blink: ??

Nige

Defender V8 halfshafts fit the stub axle. The shafts are 24 spline 1.250 Diameter, same as the 300Tdi's I have to use the Hub drive member FRC5806, locate using circlip and shim to set end float.

Standard 300 shafts with fused hub drive member, has a raised area for for the inner stub axle oil seal. But the V8 one dont have this area.

The V8 shafts are the best your gonna get from stock LR options. Well thats what, im told from previous threads on here.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopi...&hl=AEU2522

I'm running V8 rear shafts in my 90. 24 spline ARB in the diff, RR rear axle.

There's no oil seal 'bump' on the V8 shafts. I've got a set of Ashcroft rear shafts with the oil seal bump and they won't fit through the hub.

No issues with the lack of sealing - it means the rear wheel bearings run in EP90 from the diff, which I prefer as they'll never run dry.

When Land Rover changed to grease lubricated wheel bearings, they also changed the hub seal from an oil seal to a grease seal.

With grease lubricated bearings an oil seal is required on the half shaft so diff oil is not lost out of the grease seals in the hub.

The bearings fail much more after the change to grease lubrication and the grease seals allow contamination of the bearings.

Your wheel bearings will love you if you convert from grease back to oil lubrication, fit double lip oil seals in the hub and remove the oil seal for the half shaft (allow diff oil to lube the wheel bearings).