arc welding - advice neededHi

lansalot

Hi

Am going to be fooling around with an Oxford RT 180 tomorrow to get a bit of practice in, but one of the things I want to accomplish its reattaching the pin on the tailgate of my defender 90 truck-cab to the actual tailgate. Can anyone advise what sort of rods I should be buying for this as I've done a bit of reading and even watched an instructional video off the internet to no avail.

Hi. I'm not sure exactly which part you mean, but I thought I'd mention that if its a galvanised steel part you need to make sure you grind off all the zinc coating around the area to be welded - well back away from the weld and thoroughly cleaned down to bare steel.

Welding galv gives off very nasty fumes (cyanide? - can't remember). If you do feel ill afterwards, drink loads of milk.

Hope it helps a bit. Good luck.

Al.

Thanks Al, but it's not galvanised (would give it a good go with the grinder first though - and thanks for the cynanide warning, I never knew that !)

It's the pin that is attached at the lowest part of the hinge, that slides along into the eye on the cross-member. Pin is steel, so is the bracket (tailgate aluminium) by the look of it.

Sample circled here:tailak0.th.gif (not my vehicle, obviously).

Thanks Al, but it's not galvanised (would give it a good go with the grinder first though - and thanks for the cynanide warning, I never knew that !)

It's the pin that is attached at the lowest part of the hinge, that slides along into the eye on the cross-member. Pin is steel, so is the bracket (tailgate aluminium) by the look of it.

Sample circled here:tailak0.th.gif (not my vehicle, obviously).

2.5mm mildsteel rods will be fine I'd say about 70/80 amps but as each welder is different Have a test on some similar thickness scrap metal 1st.

to be honest as long as you get the amps and the movement of your hand correct, the rod diameter doesnt make a great deal of difference, unless your trying to fill a massive hole with a tiny rod.

You shouldnt have any problems with an oxford welder,nice smooth flow of power.

2.0 or 2.5 mild steel rods will be fine.

If youve got a large number of rods to keep dry,I used to use an old fridge with a 100watt bulb inside.The fridge was airtight and the bulb provided just enough warmth to keep the rods dry.

good luck