300 Tdi fan hub bearing

rick

can this be replaced without replacing the whole front cover ?

Is it a complete little assembly, bearing/spigot/hub, or.....

Is it just a standard bearing with a spigot pressed into it and the fan/pulley hub pressed onto the spigot (with a cleverly disguised rear seal ?)

The rear view of the bearing has the seal covering the whole back of the bearing, and I started to wreck it trying to pryse it off.

Anyone ??

The fan hub on a Tdi (200 and 300 are similar AFAIK) is a sealed for life unit. It is quite complicated and cannot be serviced. I would reccomend a non-genuine replacement. The last one I bought was a little less than half the genuine price and had the same part number printed on it in the same place and the same font as the genuine article. In other words, it came off the same production line and just got marked-up less on it's journey to me. I did not get the posh box though, just a plastic bag.

Chris

Edited to say: Just spotted you are in Oz, still worth the cost of postage if a non-genuine replacement is not locally available, IMHO.

200Tdi viscous hub ETC7238

300Tdi -------------- ERR2266

:D

Sorry Ralph, I wasn't clear enough. I'm after the bearing/spigot assembly that presses into the front timing cover, which the viscous hub actually screws onto.

I think Rick was referring to the bit that the pulley runs on which holds the viscous fan, not the bearing in the fan.

AFAIk it is not available as a separate part from LR, but like alternators and belt tensioners, you may well find a std bearing like a 6203 can be made to fit...

Sorry Ralph, I wasn't clear enough. I'm after the bearing/spigot assembly that presses into the front timing cover, which the viscous hub actually screws onto.

that would be the triangular hub on the water pump then??? not the serpentine belt pulley the only way to get a new bearing in there is to change the pump, LR don't list those bearings seperate, think you'll have to strip the pump if able to & source a bearing from elsewhere.

that would be the triangular hub on the water pump then??? not the serpentine belt pulley the only way to get a new bearing in there is to change the pump, LR don't list those bearings seperate, think you'll have to strip the pump if able to & source a bearing from elsewhere.

nope, not the water pump. This is for a 300Tdi. the water pump is seperate.

Its what supports the centre pulley that the viscous fan hub is screwed onto.

When you unscrew the fan, there are four bolts holding the pulley onto a hub, remove these and you have a small four hole hub pressed onto a spigot that appears integral with its bearing. This is pressed into the front timing cover.

cheers.

Found the front timing cover in EPC/Microcat, it just shows the front cover with the fan hub as part of the assembly, no mention of spares for the hub. :( looks like a new part or a ingenious repair job :D

thanks mate, just what I suspected.

It just had NLA/superceded in my EPC for the front cover !