TD5 Discos .. what else are they wired for?

Mean Green

I've heard that all wiring looms on TD5's are the same, apparently this was done by LR to standardise and generally make things easier and cheaper.

Mine is a "S" and certainly has all the extra plugs, only things missing are the switches and where applicable the ECU's.

Pete

Heated seats and heated windsreen

That's interesting, are my seats (04 model) and windscreen already fitted with the electrical gubbins, and all that's needed is the correct switch for the dash?

I did the cruise control thing, very well worth the hour's work.

Julian.

I believe you will need the heated windscreen itself and the heated seats, and the switches - it's just the wiring which will be there

I fitted heated seats to my GS when I had it about 4 years ago. I recall that if you have leather seats then the heater mats will be fitted from the factory and all you need are the switches. The looms will be there already. I had cloth seats and had to fit the heater mats as well. The mats are different for cloth or leather trim, I think the leather ones have a thermostat integral to the mats, the connections are different and one type wont fit the other (ask me how I know :( ). Peeling back the covers is a wee bit fiddly but if you take your time you can make a good job of it.

Heated seats are about the best upgrade you can do, ever! At the time I done it for the sake of it but now I wouldn't be without them. Do it! :wub:

That's interesting, are my seats (04 model) and windscreen already fitted with the electrical gubbins, and all that's needed is the correct switch for the dash?

I did the cruise control thing, very well worth the hour's work.

Julian.

Do you need a new steering wheel (the one with the switches in built)

Do you need a new steering wheel (the one with the switches in built)

No you don't.

There's a chap on e-bay who sells the master switch, steering wheel control, instructions and a template.

Remove the airbag, mark out the hole you need to cut with the supplied template, cut the hole, mount the switches and re-fit the airbag - it's not much more than an hour's work. The wiring and fixing for the switches is already in place.

I cut the hole with an 'aluminium cut' carbide burr in the die-grinder, but that's only because I have one - you can use practically anything.

You don't have to be particularly accurate with the hole cutting, there's a big rubber grommet (just like the steering radio controls) that'll cover it all up!

Julian.

I was wondering about the centre diff lock.

My Disco just has a high and low range - although the placard showing the diff lock operation is fitted to the centre console.

Is the diff lock fitted to the transmission, and what would it take to connect it up I wonder? (so I could use it like my old 200tdi)

Julian.