Water ingress

DiscoStu

Hi all,

I have noticed a water leak from the rear of the disco in moderate to heavy rain - today really made it pour in.

I have a few issues with each sunroof but I have an idea how to tackle those, the one that has me foxed is at the rear passenger corner.

With the headlining and trim panels removed I can see water gathering at the very end of the box section, right in the corner - above the load bay window, beneath the safari window at the very back of the car. This drips down the corner pillar, onto the bracket beneath, onto the speaker then onto the load liner where it leaves a big puddle.

For the life of me I cant work out where its coming in. Has anyone else had a leak here and if so, how did you fix it?

Any advice gladly accepted, its not worth replacing my boot floor if its only going to last 5 minutes!

Stu.

I presume you have a 200 or 300.

At the location you describe it is almost certainly the Alpine lights that are weeping.

A good laruping with silicone, under the rubber seal on the outside, will cure this but ensure you do all the way around the seal.

Water runs around the seal and gets into the car under the bottom centre of the Alpine light seal. From here it gets onto the corner speaker etc.

Don't rule out the gutter on the outside corner though and don't rule out the sunroof drains if you have a rear sunroof. ;)

This link may assist.Clicky

Got to disagree with it certainly being the alpine lights - with EXACTLY the same symptoms down to the millimeter - it was the 3 panel gap at the rear on mine!

Along the gutter where the roof rear panel and rear side panel join there is a also a join in the gutter trim - right under this spot is where the water is getting in. I blasted mine with a hair dryer after diggin out the old sealant then just siliconed it all and put the trim back on. Leak stopped.

A few months ago I had the alipne light window leak on mine too and the water was visibly running in from under the seal - it was that obvious - if you cant see it coming in under the seal then look at the panel joint as it's the more likely culprit.

it does sound like the rear panel gap *cough* tolerances *cough* are in need of attention.

it has been mentioned before about damming up the gutter and pouring waxoyl or similar into it, this works it's way in then seals the problem.

there is a product called Captain Tolley's creeping crack cure (no sniggering at the back) available from marine suppliers that works it's way into these sort of places - it's designed for sealing leaks on boats, so should work ok on a landrover

Thanks for the replies all, I'm leaning towards the panel gaps myself. As mentioned I've stripped the head lining, trim, foam etc from the back end - its bare except for the seatbelts and loom!

Not seeing anything from the alpines but there is a bit of rust either side under the seal on the exterior. I may whip em out (ooer missus) and treat the rust before wackin them back in with some sealant in there too.

Sounds like a smaller job to seal the panel gap - I'll try that first then get me old fella round to play the hose over the back end. Thanks again,

Stu.