A Level Engineering Project

landroversforever

G-rover - I dont have a P38 i can look at ;)

Right been looking at the mark scheme... I recon this project should do alright:

Its a system for knowing where abouts in their travel the wheels are. Each trailing arm/radius arm has a unit similar to the Self leveling suspension sensor on a disco 2. This sends a signal to a display (lines of LEDs?) showing the position of the suspension. any good you recon??

Pretty sure that those sensors will cost you a fair shout. Is there that much of a need for it?

The main thing I found doing systems and control a few years back was demonstrating a need for the project. Seems to me you;re coming up with solutions then trying to find a way of justifying them. A better way is to look at something and think how it could be improved.

Remember you'll have to think of several solutions to the problem then pick the most suitable as well. Can you do that on something like this?

The preparation and design stage is the most important on the mark scheme speaking from memory. Effectively allocating time (Gantt charts and critical flow diagrams) and all that project managementy type rubbish. The actual paperwork for the manufacturing was essentially working diagrams - plans and isometric - then an explanation of how I manufactured it.

Then there are loads of marks for testing and evaluation at the end

A project I did that worked really well was an auto braking system for wheel chairs if the speed got too great or if the slope was too steep. My sister's boyfriend at the time was a quadraplegic and had problems controlling his speed on slopes. Hence came the idea.

With that idea I had loads of research areas that can generate pages of really good sheets.

Different control systems, both mechanical and electronic with pros and cons.

Different power systems.

Different methods of braking (regenerative using a motor, scissor brakes, disc brakes).

Then once I'd settled on the basic system I then went on to how I mounted it, ergonomic considerations, material considerations, availability of manufacturing process, cost etc etc. From memory I had around 70-80 A3 sheets for my project (but then I was good at DT and enjoyed it).

None of the above is meant to be criticism in any way but just pointers. If you can identify a need, offer a variety of solutions, then implement the most effective, and prove that you did so at the end = mucho marks/UMs.

A electronic / mechanical / hyrdaulic attachment that can be connected to say a JC2 pipe bender that with a simple PC could help produce bends automaticaly rather than by hand ?

slight hijack, but my eldest bro made one of those when he was at school to control a morticing machine using compressed air and a dragon 32 computer, this was in 1982, and he won the regional finals, got £2k and we got to spend an expenses paid weekend in London at the British association of young scientists exhibition at the science museum :)

Pretty sure that those sensors will cost you a fair shout. Is there that much of a need for it?

The main thing I found doing systems and control a few years back was demonstrating a need for the project. Seems to me you;re coming up with solutions then trying to find a way of justifying them. A better way is to look at something and think how it could be improved.

Remember you'll have to think of several solutions to the problem then pick the most suitable as well. Can you do that on something like this?

The preparation and design stage is the most important on the mark scheme speaking from memory. Effectively allocating time (Gantt charts and critical flow diagrams) and all that project managementy type rubbish. The actual paperwork for the manufacturing was essentially working diagrams - plans and isometric - then an explanation of how I manufactured it.

Then there are loads of marks for testing and evaluation at the end

A project I did that worked really well was an auto braking system for wheel chairs if the speed got too great or if the slope was too steep. My sister's boyfriend at the time was a quadraplegic and had problems controlling his speed on slopes. Hence came the idea.

With that idea I had loads of research areas that can generate pages of really good sheets.

Different control systems, both mechanical and electronic with pros and cons.

Different power systems.

Different methods of braking (regenerative using a motor, scissor brakes, disc brakes).

Then once I'd settled on the basic system I then went on to how I mounted it, ergonomic considerations, material considerations, availability of manufacturing process, cost etc etc. From memory I had around 70-80 A3 sheets for my project (but then I was good at DT and enjoyed it).

None of the above is meant to be criticism in any way but just pointers. If you can identify a need, offer a variety of solutions, then implement the most effective, and prove that you did so at the end = mucho marks/UMs.

I recon it would be possible to make them up using a rotary switch/build a casing. As for is it needed, from the examiners point of view/teachers its a great project idea as it is 'needed' and has: electronics in it/some sort of casing to make/linkage to make - with geometry of it to think about/make a prototype rather than a set of four for a vehicle.

This is more of a fun thing...realisticly a challenge or trial driver isn't going to want it - but the crucial thing is the examiners don't know that :ph34r: . With the paper work i can make it seem like it is something more than a gimick. I can make it seem a bit more real, as its a retro fit version of what is on the new RR/RRs/Disco.

Would a home made brushless electric motor with variable speed control be too simplistic as a project ? One could think of many ways to make it more complicated if you added electronics. Simple and quick to do and would not cost an arm.

At A level it's more a question of why you'd need to use a brushless motor than being able to make one. Really, these 'do a project' courses are a pig when you have nothing to gauge your project against.