which engine to use??? 200tdi , 2.5 td , 2.8td

hello guy's

I am having a problem deciding which engine to put into my defender. I have bought a 1985 110 with an intercooled td engine but the gearbox and transfer had gone before i purchased. it was only £500 by the way. i am not sure if i shouold buy a disco 200tdi with gearbox and transfer and transplant it all. just buy a gearbox and transfer for the TD or put in a diahatsu 2.8 td (whole car working but very rusty) which i was given which only has 33,000 miles on it. I am also not sure how easy it will he to transplant and is it worth keeping the diahatsu gearbox with it's engine or going for an LT77 or R380. thanks

Not bad for £500

post-11226-1220818573_thumb.jpg

welcome, a lot of 110 for 500 quid :D

if the existing engine is good I'd drop another LT77 main gearbox & LT230 transfer box in, would be the quickest way to get it on the road, otherwise a 200Tdi engine with the correct 90/110 gearboxes.

thanks for that i was thinking about the 200tdi as i am not in a rush to get it on the road

Hi, a lot of 110 for 500 quid!

Do you use Mansfield 4x4 for bits? I find them pretty helpful. I still use them from Sheffield/Cheshire, I used to live across the river at Holbrook.

Yes i do use manfield for bit's they are very good and friendly but can be expensive to fit parts. They also find it hard to get engines and gearboxes for good prices usually but i am planning to enquire. thanks for the suggestion. Charlie

I would be tempted to pick up a seconhand gearbox/transfer from ebay, they can be got for peanuts and at least you can get the truck moving about pretty quickly, get to know it a bit better and work out whether its worth chucking a load of money at and figure out what it is you want to do with it.

Then keep your eyes open for a real good TDI engine and save up for a nicely built gearbox and transfer.