MOT

Comical Engineer

Just took the Disco for the MOT.

Knew I might have a might have a couple of issues but the tester went a bit hard on the old girl and knocked a couple of holes in the underside (wheelarches and associated areas) within 30cm etc... He also found some play in a couple of the muddy bits.

He also condemned one of my rear shocks, rubber bushes & a couple of other minor things that I can fix myself (at a price).

Unfortunately I sold my MIG welder some years ago when I got rid of the MG <_< so it looks like the MOT will cost me somewhat more than I had budgetted for.

This means that my plans for improving the motor have been dented for the time being. Was planning to replace the squeaking alternator, fit a decat pipe and electric fan and get some tyres that work better on road than the Insa Saharas. Oh, and the radiator fins are corroded so I'm budgetting for a new radiator after winter!

Is there a simley for "really hacked off"? :(

Guys, many thanks for all the offers.

I'd normally do it myself but I'm up against a time problem in the next couple of weeks, that being that the MOT expires on 21 Sept and I'm away on business for 6 days between now and then.

A bit of hunting around this afternoon found me someone who will do the welding at a reasonable price and I'm hoping he can sort out the other bits on the list.

I'll let you know end of next week when it's all done. :rolleyes:

What causes the radiator fins to deteriorate like that, and the body/chassis to corrode so badly, is it the sea air or do they still spray a salt solution on the roads to prevent ice forming, or is the mud, when off-roading, corrosive?

Maybe I am spoiled, as I live +/- 700 kms from the coast, and we do not have ice forming on our roads, but we usually give the LR's a good high pressure under body cleanup after off roading.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got through the MOT. The damage was:

Welding to both rear wheel arches & one inner wing patch - cost about £180

New front wheel bearing £25 plus about £50 fitting

New swivel bearings & sphere (one side) £75 + about £80 fitting

2x MOT @ £48 (ran out of time for re-test but see below)

Total £350 odd plus £100 parts = £450

Exhaust that I fitted a couple of weeks ago £75

Might have been a couple of additional bits that brought the total up to about £575 :(

Here is the interesting point:

At the first MOT, the tester did not spot the collapsed top swivel bearing that was giving a lot of play (and I mean a lot) of play on one of the front wheels. :angry:

Fortunately, the second tester (different garage) did spot it. I'm ok about the expense of doing it although it did put a dent in my budget, my point is that the bearing was dangerous. In theory I could have spent the next 12 months trundling round with a bearing that could have collapsed terminally at more orless any time. Guess where I won't be going back to?