SIIa Hybrid build has begun; finally.

XtremeMarineInc

Google is your friend:

Roadless used a combination of components to make the machine functional: it retained the original gear-and transfer boxes and coupled them to a pair of Studebaker axles with GKN-Kirkstall planetary hub reductions and the same tractor type wheels that had been used before.

(http://www.lr-mad.co.uk/raised.html)

No normal Rover axle, no matter how upgraded, would be capable of reliably spinning the tyres the Agri Rover had. Even the challenge boys top out at 36-37" on Rovers and that's after some serious spendings.

Though it may not seem like it, I'm trying to be helpful by offering constructive criticism/questions here (it's a forum after all, if you don't want it, don't post :P). As I remember you had some pretty strange ideas about mods to your Disco way back which people also (rightly IMHO) questioned.

Now onto sounding like the colonial prick I am :P

If the truck is for sand & mud, clearance under the diffs is the factor, which is all about tyre size. This is why I'm questioning the value of SOA, by the time your under-chassis clearance is an issue your axles are under a ton of mud. It's almost always the axle/diff grounding out that halts progress in mud or sand. That's why portals were invented ;)

See! I knew with a little gentle prodding you'd go right back to your helpful; resourceful self. LOL! :P Good info. And By The Way; I did all of the stuff I wanted to on the DII, except portals ($), and love it. F those guys on Pirate. If it's something new, or not the norm, most of them just want to shoot it down. I'm happy with it, and it's my money. lol! I still want portals on the DII, but it has to be paid off first with that type of expense.

Back to the leafer. Did you catch my post on dropping the CoG by lowering the mounts? Might be cutting, measuring, rewelding those in a couple of weeks.

See! I knew with a little gentle prodding you'd go right back to your helpful; resourceful self. LOL! :P

Weird, I thought I was still being a colonial prick :P

Back to the leafer. Did you catch my post on dropping the CoG by lowering the mounts? Might be cutting, measuring, rewelding those in a couple of weeks.

Seems a lot of work if you're not going crawlin' and are then going to do SOA to bring it back up again :huh: Why not just put some longer spring mounts & shackles on it and avoid all the hassle?

According to Jez; you can always be a prick; when you want to. LOL! :P J/K!

FF; how close are you to Berinsfield, Oxon, England? We bring over boats from there in containers? I am wondering if I can get a couple of SFS mog axles on a pallet to there; if the boss will let me put them in a container so I don't have to pay shipping from europe...

The SOA is to clear the 35"'s without cutting up the bodywork. The dropping drivetrain mounts would be to offset the height of the SOA. Which would effectively make the CoG of a lower lift, and hopefully more stability.

FF; Not to be a colonial prick... but; I was right:

Google is your friend, but reading is mine. lol!

"Rear mudguards are bolted to the chassis, and the vehicle has adopted modified Land Rover axles, with portal droppers.

The standard factory axles were fitted with the portal 'droppers' which fitted directly to the original bolt arrangement on the ends of these axles, before re-attaching the steering swivels to the front and the drive flanges to the rear."

This is from the Ag-Rover. What you posted was from the Forest Rover. Wayyyyy bigger than 35"'s.

So it's a being a prick competition you're after eh? :P

Ever spoken to someone who owns an AgRover? I have, he paid a local firm to unbolt the portals and put it back to standard because they were so damn awful. The AgRover ran 9.00x16 tyres, but then it had the portal reduction. The 1-tons also ran 9.00x16 but as has been said, they had uprated axles, and there's not many of them being used in anger so it's difficult to know exactly how reliable they would be when really used off-road. Andy used Salisburys on his Ibex but they were Defender ones.

I reckon you'd clear 35's without cutting the bodywork if you fitted 1-ton shackles, if it's too close then extending to military length spring hangers would probably do it.

I'm about 90 minutes from Berinsfield, but fer the love of God don't be buying anything from SFS, there are so many better options, such as just setting fire to your truck or injecting aids into your eyeballs.

If I read correctly; and I did go back; the Ag had chain drive portal boxes. That alone seems like a horrible bit of engineering. Can't see there being any sort of reliability there. Kind of like the chain driven t-cases in some rrc's. Yuck! Great excuse for an upgrade right there... Going back some time; one of your buddies had a pair of mog axles for sale; but by the time I figured out the cheapest shipping option, they were already gone. I think they even had disc brake conversion done already. Jim, maybe? But when I get a set, I figure I'll ask your advise on whom from. 90 minutes,eh? Maybe I'll be able to figure something out. :P