Bearing noise

I have a whirring rumbley noise when driving or in neutral from the gearbox which goes away when I push the clutch in.

I assume this is an input shaft bearing? Is it the case or the helical cut gears pushing the shaft away and into the rear bearing like other cars I have had?

If it is I guess its new box time?

Working through all my noises :P

Cheers chaps

The bearings inside the thrust bearing will slowly disintegrate (this can take years). It usually eventually generates so much friction heat that the plastic sleeve melts - causing clutch failure.

Les.

Sounds like what happened to my old calibra the noise just stopped and was replaced my a metal on metal screech and burning metal smell when the clutch was depressed.

As the noise has only just started I won't worry about it then as I have a feeling my lt77 is in need of replacement as I have wear in my rear output shaft/gear I believe so will do the clutch then.

Cheers for the info as ever :)