Antifreeze types

Julian

I think my 04 Td5 should have the coolant changed, the service record doesn't show it ever having been done.

Rave says that I need coolant with organic acid corrosion inhibitor, but I've only got the standard ethylene glycol (blue) in stock.

Would anyone know if there is a good reason for sticking to the manufacturer's recommendation or will the normal blue stuff be OK?

Cheers Julian.

I would recommend using the proper afreeze - I also considered using other afreeze in my 01 Td5 .

However I read that the proper antifreeze (OAT) also contains a lubricant which is important to the life of the water pump - and the coolant has an 'oily' feel to it

And OAT antifreeze turns into glue after a while. There is a class action suit against Cadillac in the US about it. The only advantage that I can see for using the pink OAT stuff is that it is non-poisonous. Tree huggers like it. It won't poison your cat if you spill it.

I would use ordinary ethylene glycol antifreeze at 40 to 50% concentration - no higher than that.

ps. All antifreezes contain a lubricant for the water pump but the main reason to use them is the anti-corrosion additives. The coolant becomes acid with age which is why you should change it about every 18 months. If you have access to a Ph meter, your coolant should be > 8.5 ie quite alkaline.

We use the standard blue stuff in all and every LR we service...........just dont mix them.

Correct, but how on earth can you avoid mixing them??? I drained the coolant in my defender Td5, but managed to get out only about 7 of the 11 litres that are in the circuit; and the same happened to others.

Unless you turn your landy topsy-turvy, I see few chances of draining the system completely.

Correct, but how on earth can you avoid mixing them??? I drained the coolant in my defender Td5, but managed to get out only about 7 of the 11 litres that are in the circuit; and the same happened to others.

Unless you turn your landy topsy-turvy, I see few chances of draining the system completely.

Flush it with a hose pipe mate.......you can disconect a few hoses to make it easyier.

I have been using the ethylene glycol for years in a variety of cars , usually at 40-50 % mix and it has done the job very well . I also use it neat when fitting O rings etc as it does have some lubricating qualities .

As this is my first Td5 I was taking no chances - didn't know what other wonderful properties this pink stuff had .

The one thing that bothered me most was the price - it's only available from the main dealer and is at least 4 ( yes four ) times the price of the ordinary ethylene glycol . Sometimes if you had a small loss of coolant which was hard to find you could keep a gallon of mix for topping up until it was fixed - at the price of this pink stuff you would want to get it fixed pretty quickly .

Jim , you're a mine of information .

Would you have to be sure to get all of the pink stuff out of the system before filling up with ordinary afreeze - how do they affect each other ? Could they thicken up and block pipes etc . - don't want to be the first to find out .

I seem to remember that VW used two types of 'coolant additive ' - G11 and G12 IIRC and you were not supposed to mix them either .

I guess the only way to change antifreeze is to flush the system through with a hose pipe which has been suggested. Then, top up with clean water and run it like that for a while to circulate everything. Then drain and flush again. Eventually you should end up with 4 litres or so of clean water in there. Then add 2 litres of water to 5 litres antifreeze and fill up with that.

Anyway, every one to their own - try googling on Organic Acid Technology Antifreeze and you will find some interesting articles, including some stuff on the reasons for not running antifreeze strengths above 50%. I read lots of articles and decided (that as I don't drink the stuff) that the standard ethylene glycol is fine. Just change it every couple of years.

They do use strange dye to colour it - the one we use now looks blue when at 100%, at 50% is flourescent green and when leaks dry it is pink.

Thanks chaps, I'm going to driain the pink stuff tomorrow, find a suitable hose to disconnect and try and flush the system through. Blue glycol it is! That's good because I buy the stuff by the 5 gallon drum for the tractors and all the other stuff around the place.

Dooroy - you don't have to buy the pink organic acid stuff from an agent at 4 times the price. All the motor factors sell it at a more realistic price - though it is more expensive than the conventional stuff. Here's the Comma product:

http://www.commaoil.com/Product%20Pages/Co...uperredconc.htm

Julian.

I read a lot of articles also - the WWW is a fantastic source of information on just about anything ; but as I don't work on cars full time you tend to forget quite a lot of it . As far as I'm concerned there is no substitute for experience allied to knowledge - and a forum like this is invaluable to us serious diyers with expert advice freely given .

Thanks for that link julian - I have a trade a/c with a local motor factors but they could only supply the usual ethylene glycol and I tried a few others as well with the same result . They do stock Comma products so will be able to get it for me . I wouldn't mind continuing to use oat for the time being if the price was reasonable .

As jim says the colours can be a bit confusing - when I got the 'pink' afreeze the first time I thought it was wrong because it looked a different colour to what I had taken out of the system ; now I understand why - as jim explains the concentrate has a different colour to the 50% mix .

I think I remember reading once that pure afreeze has a lower boiling point than water - one reason I presume for not going above 50% mix .

Job done and filled with 4 Liters of blue.

It's easy to get all the old out.

Remove drain plug.

Remove top hose from cylinder head and metal heater pipe.

With a hosepipe flush copious volumes of water through 1. cylinder head and block 2. down top hose and radiator 3. through heater pipe 4. through header tank. Repeat a few times until the water comes out totally clear.

Refill as normal.

Julian.