Megasquirt Building

petbeemer

Hi everybody newbie here.

After doing lots of searching on the net, this site keeps coming up trumps so..................

I have a megasquirt 2 pcb3 that needs building/finishing off and i know theres a few on here that have built/fitted them to there cars, anyone want to help me out?

It will be fitted to a TVR rover v8 4.0l same motor the rangy had so nothing to complex if you already know about them.

Anybody?

Thanks for the replies guys, doesn't really matter where im based i'l gladly send it.

If it was starting from scratch then i would probably have a go myself but speaking to the guy that was building it, its almost done (but there seems to be a lot of parts over) and at the first stage of testing?

First stage of testing is the power supply test off the top of my head... that's about 30 mins into an 8 hour build so there will be a lot of bits left !

The reason I asked where you were was that I prefer to be hands on when I build kits up for people, I normally build the ECU then come along and help install it into the motor.

With the 4.0 you'll be able to use the factory crank sensor so at least there are no problems with setting up the wheel decoder. I know TVR rebuilt the engines depending on the model they were fitting them to but assume they don't replace the crank/cam sensor setup... Is there a specific reason you went with MS2 ? There's nothing on a normal 4.0 that would require MS2 so wondering if there's something unusual that you needed. Do you know if it has 4 VB921s with the kit to drive the coils ? Has he already hacked the case where the LEDs normally mount to fit the coil drivers internally ?

I normally fit the coil drivers into a small aluminium cast box that mounts near the coil packs, it gives some protection from noise in the loom and means you don't have to add an extra connector to the ECU. You have to use screened cable from the crank sensor to the ECU.

To use the stock idle control unit you'll need to modify the pipework and put a restrictor of some kind in, this restrictor will set the cold idle speed as the Idle control can only be used as a simple on/off switch without an external control board. I use a piece of round bar of the correct diameter for the pipe and drill a hole down the centre - te bigger the hole the faster your cold idle. If you want to use the idle control built into MS2 you'll need to find a way of fitting an earlier stepper motor IAC to the engine.

Do you want to build a new loom for the engine or chop up the existing one ?

Thanks for the replies guys, doesn't really matter where im based i'l gladly send it.

If it was starting from scratch then i would probably have a go myself but speaking to the guy that was building it, its almost done (but there seems to be a lot of parts over) and at the first stage of testing?

Hi beemer,

I think they were asking you subtely to update your profile with your location.

Just your county is a good enough start ;)

Cheers

G

Ah, so it's a 3.9 engine then.

4.0l was the same capacity as the 3.9 but was fitted with the Thor EFi, no distributor, banana manifolds, crank and cam sensor and knock sensors.

Are you going to use fuel only or fuel and spark ?

If both, have you sorted out a toothed wheel and VR sensor ?

Right, not quite ready to rock yet then :lol:
Not quite no, you can see my problem now :( if starting at the begining id be happy to do it myself but this i would like to entrust to someone thats done it before and knows whats what.
Ah, so it's a 3.9 engine then.

4.0l was the same capacity as the 3.9 but was fitted with the Thor EFi, no distributor, banana manifolds, crank and cam sensor and knock sensors.

Are you going to use fuel only or fuel and spark ?

If both, have you sorted out a toothed wheel and VR sensor ?

Learn something everyday! last time i played with Landy's 3.9's where just to expensive to buy to fit to trialers ect and efi was the 'daddy' if you had one :) Ive been playing with Jap stuff ever since so a little rusty at getting back into it all, and this thing has cost a fortune so far!

But what a noise! :)

I was hoping to run both fuel and ign through the megasquirt but i thought there was another way (without the tothed wheel) just using the stock dizzy with bob weights locked up?

I was hoping to run both fuel and ign through the megasquirt but i thought there was another way (without the tothed wheel) just using the stock dizzy with bob weights locked up?

There is, but you're not gaining nearly as much as if you go distributorless, and it'll still stop when it sees a puddle.

There is, but you're not gaining nearly as much as if you go distributorless, and it'll still stop when it sees a puddle.

Yer im not overly bothered about the extra benifits of dizzyless, the extra cost/work involved outweighs the gains for me, this ecu was meant for something completely different originaly, this is the good thing about MS as it will fit a plenty :)

All i want is someone with experience to finish the job, preferably in the same millenium as the last guy was taking so much time ive sold the business and the car it was going to be fitted to!

I worked out the stock maps in the standard ecu and was going to turn that into mappable but that would be fuel only so not ideal, the MS will make good of wasted funds already spent.