Starting Issues

smo

My 200Tdi is mis-behaving when starting. Many times it takes 10-15 turns of the key to get it to start, i get a click, but no turn-over until one time itll just go and start fine!

So, firstly what is likely to be the cause (starter solenoid??) and secondly whats the "procedure" for removing the 200Tdi starter, its easy on my TD5 cos its visible and not buried beneath the turbo and exhaust....

it sounds like there isn'y a problem with the solenoid. Thats the bit you can hear clicking.

I sounds like the drive pinion is not flicking into the flywheel. These could be for a couple of reasons:

1: Shaft the pinion gear is on is worn and the gear is stuck and won't slide

2: the shaft is dry , normally from getting hot (heat off the exhuast) and drying the lube out.

The only way to find out and sort it is to remove the starter.

Firstly you need to get to the starter. by removing the exhuast front section from the turbo.

Dissconnect the battery to stop some funny hair styles!!

Dissconnect the electrical wires on th back of the starter.

There are three bolts that hold the starter in place remove those and it should come out. Use landrover tool no.1 as it can be corroded in a little.

Hope this helps

Neil

I had the same symptoms with my 90 (2 1/4 petrol). It took a number of turns for the key before the engine turned over and started yet each time you could hear the solenoid clicking.

It turned out that the solenoid cap was faulty. As I understand it the solenoid has two functions on a pre-engaged starter, 1) slide the gear wheel attached to the starter along the shaft so that it engages with the ring gear on the flywheel, and 2) once the gears are engaged switch on the supply to the starter to turn the engine.

Although the coil in the solenoid was fine (hence the clicking as the starter gear wheel was engaged with the flywheel) the contacts were worn causing a resistance in the supply to the motor.

My starter is as Lucas 2M100 and I was able to get the cap replaced (as well as some other bits done on it). I don't know if you can do that with your starter but if you can't I would have thought you could replace just the solenoid.

Just to clarify,

The sympton I had was that I could hear the solenoid click once when I turned the key (not 'clicking' as in my earlier post).

I remember my looking at a friends car that wouldn't start; when they turned the key you could hear the solenoid constantly clicking until the key was released. The problem was the battery. It was storing such little charge it could activate the solenoid but as soon as the motor was switched on the voltage dropped enough to deactivate the solenoid... which switched off the supply to the motor causing the battery voltage to rise sufficiently to activate the solenoid..... and so on.

Hope this helps.

Mine is one click when key turned, so sounds identical - however some "lovely person" has replaced the exhaust with a stainless sustem turbo back, which is nice, except its mounted in strange places that you cannot get to without destroying the entire car - inner wings out job to reach a bolt which has royally Mildly miffed me off.

I'm so sick of this bloody car, i just want it working but nothing is ever easy - at this rate i'll weigh her in :angry:

EDIT: Whilst i'm at it i might as well attempt the clutch replacement it needs....looking forward to that like a hole in the head!

@smo. Sounds identical to the problem that I had with my Discovery. It's not the solenoid as already stated above. I was in a hurry so I just replaced the whole unit on mine.....which is why I knew the price when you txt'd me :D

@smo. Sounds identical to the problem that I had with my Discovery. It's not the solenoid as already stated above. I was in a hurry so I just replaced the whole unit on mine.....which is why I knew the price when you txt'd me :D

Did you really mean its not the solenoid?? Or was that a typo??

If only we had space in the workshop, i'd move her down there for remidial work!

i had this on mine it would just click and not turn, then it would turn, eventually it wouldnt turn at all it justed clicked so i just replaced it with a second hand one. my engines out of disco which makes it a nighmare to take, as it wouldn't fit between the engine and chassis to drop it out and the only way to take it out from above was to take the exhaust off and then the studs which hold the exhaust onto teh turbo :(