Vibration

beaker

Hi guys,

Hope you can help with this.

I've got a heavy vibration going through my 90 which I think i've traced to a cream crackered rear uj on the rear prop. I've ordered the new parts (i'm going to replace both uj's while i've got the prop off) and I was thinking of removing the rear prop altogether until the parts arrive to safegaurd against sudden failure and the resulting damage. What I would like to know is will I do any damage to anything by driving the car minus the rear prop.

Thanks. :)

No damage, but remind yourself to lock the center diff... Also easy on the revs when accelerating as the force of your engine is not going to both axles, but to one only.

This is for temporary use only, try to fix the issue soon....

Well otherwise all your drive will go to the output where your rear prop used to be, the centre diff will put it there as there's no resistance.

Like one wheel of your axle being off the ground, same principle. Without it locked you'll just spin the free side of the diff.

Just found that out as I tried to move it without locking the difff and didn't go anywhere! :rolleyes:

Also make sure the handbrake drum retaining screws are in place, as with no screws and the propshaft off you will lose the drum.

Pete.

Found this out also as I reversed out of the garage and heard a loud clanging sound. Looked underneath to find the drum on the floor. Looks like the screws weren't there at all and so i've wound the prop screws back on for now till i get some new screws. Will it still be ok to drive it like that do you reckon?

Just found that out as I tried to move it without locking the difff and didn't go anywhere! :rolleyes:

Found this out also as I reversed out of the garage and heard a loud clanging sound. Looked underneath to find the drum on the floor. Looks like the screws weren't there at all and so i've wound the prop screws back on for now till i get some new screws. Will it still be ok to drive it like that do you reckon?

Yep, just check the nuts are tight, if not add a thick washer under them.