Oil Ingress into ECU

disco_al

I have a good mate who has got oil ingress into the ECU from the injector cable. He has had the vehicle in at a local auto electricians and they have told him that the ECU is u/s and needs a new one.

What options has he got (apart from a new ecu - if that's possible)?

It's a 51 plate TD5 BTW.

cheers

Quick update, the symptoms he is getting is that the battery is draining, as the ECU does not appear to be shutting all the electrical systems down properly, leading to a slight current drain - is this normal? or is something else to blame for the problems?

I've changed loads of injector looms, cleaned the oil from the ecu contacts and the opposing plug and never had and further problems with the vehicle ( the first time I even checked inside the ecu for oil - none! ). As I understand to oil can't enter the ecu - it just junks up the plug.

Lee

I think oil can enter the ECU if there is enough in the harness but it might not be the problem. I'd go with putting a multimeter in the battery feed and pulling out fuses to isolate the circuit draining the power before I'd chuck a few hundred quid at an ECU on the offchance it might fix it.

when the fuses are pulled with a meter on there, the fuses relating to the engine management side of things show a big drop - right the way down to mA's.

is it likely to be the main ECU at fault? i thought they were pretty reliable these days (i know it's a landrover)?

anyone provide any pointers to this one?

I've never changed an ECU. This doesn't mean that there is nothing wrong with your friends one, but just that I think it unlikely. Maybe you should tell the electricians that they are welcome to change the ECU but if it doesn't fix the problem they must take it out again. The standard LR stealer™ trick is to change all sorts of stuff that you have to pay for whether it does any good or not. (and they keep the old bits unless you scream and shout).

found out some more - when fuse 1 & 2 in the engine bay fuse box are pulled, the current drain disappears, now the wires from these fuses go straight to the ecu, so it does look like it's possibly u/s, unless it's draining through the ecu