USA 4x4 trip

ibexman

Im planning on going to USA this year and would like to take in some 4x4 action ,any recomendations could i hook up with a club out there moab sounds interesting ??????

Chris

I couldn't find anything in Florida when I was out there last :(

Here is the events section on Pirate 4x4

Have a browse through there.

Moab is truly truly fantastic, managed to get a day there when i spent some time on business in the Salt lake city area.

I only barely grazed the surface of the place. Rented a Rubicon, tricked up "jeep" (certainly better than any wrangler i've ever seen), had GPS, fridges, 4 inc raise, underdrive, 44" etc etc. Absolutely amazing- i met up with a group of Yanks who wre trundling around and spent 7 hours trying to get to the lions back but ran out of time.

Might be out there again this year, in which case i intend to spend a couple of days out there!

The best wheeling is out West. If you have limited time, Moab (Utah) is your best bet. There are outfits that rent rock-ready Jeep Rubicons. If you have more time, the mining trails in Colorado and Arizona / Nevada should also be great. Best advice is that given above: Get on Pirate and check in with the guys on the Land Rover board - many of them are located out there and can give you more detailed advice.

Moab or Colorado or why not try both. They're neighbouring states and noth present awesome opportunities for 'wheeling.

The freedom of places like Moab and Colorado will blow your mind! You'll come back home and think, why do we bother!

You'll not find anywhere that rents LR's so for Jeep rentals check out Farabees For Wrangler Rubicon's (lockers lifts MT's etc) go to Cliffhanger

I'd also advise you to get hold of a copy of Charles Wells 'Guide to Moab backroads and 4-wheel drive trails'. You can find it easily over here, but every shop & gas station in Moab sells them.

If you fancy Colorado, Wells does a couple of books on this as well. The area around Ouray is a good base. Miles of mountain trails with tons of ghost towns and old mining ruins.

For your info, The Solihull Society are holding their National Rally in Moab in September so this would make an ideal time to go. By then the temperature should have cooled down a bit into the mid 80's! I've hooked up with them on couple of occasions and they'll always welcome any Brits along. Event takes place over 3-days with plenty of different trails to chose from.

Kev

Moab or Colorado or why not try both. They're neighbouring states and noth present awesome opportunities for 'wheeling.

The freedom of places like Moab and Colorado will blow your mind! You'll come back home and think, why do we bother!

You'll not find anywhere that rents LR's so for Jeep rentals check out Farabees For Wrangler Rubicon's (lockers lifts MT's etc) go to Cliffhanger

I'd also advise you to get hold of a copy of Charles Wells 'Guide to Moab backroads and 4-wheel drive trails'. You can find it easily over here, but every shop & gas station in Moab sells them.

If you fancy Colorado, Wells does a couple of books on this as well. The area around Ouray is a good base. Miles of mountain trails with tons of ghost towns and old mining ruins.

For your info, The Solihull Society are holding their National Rally in Moab in September so this would make an ideal time to go. By then the temperature should have cooled down a bit into the mid 80's! I've hooked up with them on couple of occasions and they'll always welcome any Brits along. Event takes place over 3-days with plenty of different trails to chose from.

Kev

I lived there for 6 years and wheeled in Moab (al lover Utah as well) Arizona, Colorado and California. They are all great, you wouldn't be disappointed with any of them.

If you want a week-long concentrated wheeling experience go to Moab because there is simply so much there - so many trails you'll think you've died and gone to heaven. But it can be a truck-destroyer too.

Arizona, specifically around Sedona, Flgstaff etc has some great trails - less intense than Moab but excellent none the less. Holed my gearbox sump and lost all oil whilst wheeling a roack-strewn dry creek bed. We were 2hrs out from nearest habitation - that was fun!

California has a lot too - the Rubicon being of natable repute but you must go when the snow has cleared (May thru Oct). This is a really technical, demanding trail.

Colorado is good too - but fairly tame by comparison with Moab, Cali etc. If you go to California, which is where I lived, you could do the Rubicon, plus there are several 4-wheeling parks such as my old local one: Hollister Hills. They recently held a rock-crawling Pro Competition there... excellent place!