Hydro PTO and auto

roachy

Hi everyone, any help/info appreciated,

i've got a 300tdi auto 90 and have just purchased a PTO adaptor and hydro pump to power a milemarker or 2.

my question is how can i tell what speed the pump is running as i don't want to over do it?

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Don't worry too much, depending on your oil line sizes you won't need to use anything higher than 3rd at 2000 rpm, as a max, 25cc or 50cc/rev pump? If you rev too high and pump speed goes too high, the pump will cavitate and you hear a lout "whiring" noise, don't panic, just slow the revs down.

What pump you using?

Lara.

Don't worry too much, depending on your oil line sizes you won't need to use anything higher than 3rd at 2000 rpm, as a max, 25cc or 50cc/rev pump? If you rev too high and pump speed goes too high, the pump will cavitate and you hear a lout "whiring" noise, don't panic, just slow the revs down.

What pump you using?

Lara.

Well, the pto adaptor has got a 23cc pump with it but i have happened upon a 33cc parker pump so hoping that will fit, not sure as it has a tapered input shaft with a woodruff key, not sure what the adaptor has.

The pump has max pressure at 2600rpm so hoping for about 1:1 ratio through the box's do you know what ratio 3rd gives?

Don't know if I am missing something here, but until the torque converter locks up (practically never off road) then your rev counter is only telling you the revs of the engine, not the gearbox, surely?

I suppose Lara's suggestion to listen to the noises made is the way to judge it unless you put some kind of sensor on the gearbox....

to be honest i'm not really sure how an autobox/TC works so i dont know what will happen, i understand the basics but not exactly how it will behave powering the pump instead of the vehicle as the resistanc will be entirely different. Will it slow down as greater load is added then race when load is removed? I was hoping someone else had tried this.

Right, i've done a little research and from what i can gather the TC locks when a steady speed is reached, then frees up when you accelerate or slow down.

So if i sit it at 2500revs in 3rd on hand throttle, it'll reach a steady speed and the TC will lock up and as long as i dont accelerate or slow down it should do as its supposed to?

Does that make sence or have i missed something?

Hi Roachy ,

If you are in neutral on the t/box and winching the box will change up to top - 4th- as the PTO pump takes around 1/10 of the power/torque to run under full load that the vehicle needs to drive. If you want a lower gear for pto work you'll need to lock it into the gear you want. A crank driven pump gives far more flexibility .....but there are space/drive systes to consider.

Winching and driving will require the wheels to be rotating to get drive into the pump.

....The best hydraulic tech advice I've found in our area is the Stennett Brothers at Swilland

Cheers

Steveb

Yep I saw that thread ,

Pete and Kay did a great job running it before the change of ownership, so Terry and his team have good foundations to build on......I'm hoping to go along as its nice and local and has always been a good site.

Back on topic ....I have a milemarker on the back of my 109 and a hyd. converted Fairey on the front running off a pto pump, and to get the best out of the pump/front winch its prv is at 200bar which will eventually kill the std MM motor so you may want to think about upgrading the motor in your budget. Hybrid from Hell - Nige has done this I think as have others ...Jez has done more with MM's than most ;)

Cheers

Steveb

Do it by ear is easiest but certainly not scientific :P

Wheel assist will give you a low line speed unless wheels are spinning quite fast,

No wheel assist will give you a very good line speed with a 33cc pump at sensible engine revs, TCs all "lock" at differing speeds dependant on power input, but with little power input it should give very little slip as the stall will be very low, great for winching!

Suck it and see would be my advice on this unless you love very involved and never ending Maths ;)

Lara