Series 2a Clutch Plumbing .... Help Please

Fatboy

Evening,

My rebuild is progressing but I'm stumped with the clutch and at the point where it is needed ;)

I've got a large threaded, female fitting on the master cylinder:

001ClutchMasterCylFitting.jpg

and a smaller one on the slave cylinder:

002ClutchSlaveCylFitting.jpg

Now, obviously I don't hard pipe all of the way and will run a flexi hose to the slave but the fittings are the same size on both ends (I've misplaced the hose at the moment).

For a comparision, I got two fittings below which fit the two ends I have on the vehicle:

003TwoFittingsTogether.jpg

Not only do they have different sized threads, they have different sized pipes in the ID!

I've had a couple of variations from Craddocks but "blind" buying was getting a bit dear and we don't have a local independent that I know where I can explain my quandary over the counter.

Can anybody help with part nos or a supplier or...??

Obviously a direct and informed answer on here will be best, but in terms of 'more local than 'addocks', if not exactly local, have you considered / had any experience of Davidson Mcmillan in Inverness? http://davidsonandmcmillan.co.uk/index.php

Now you have created some pictures and text you could always try hawking an email round the more 'personal' suppliers.

In that context, Beamends might give you information, but they don't do Mail Order, or The Landrover Orphanage have a good reputation in the Series 2 Club http://www.landroverorphanage.com/

P A Blanchards is another possibility. https://secure.pablanchard.co.uk/default.asp

Otherwise it's a case of putting the adaptor (or complete Master Cylinder) in your pocket, with the Slave Cylinder in the other one, and trundling round Motor Factors in Aberdeen itself.

Yes I know, that's easy for me to say, I'm a long way away :-)

Good Luck.

i had a problem when i fitted servo brakes onto a series the one time. from what i recall i had to use the bigger fittings, with a small pipe ( 3/8 not 1/4).

however i can't remember the size of fittings / pipework on a series clutch, i'm sure they normaly use 1/4" tubing though.

here is an attachment of the parts page if it helps you.

post-9903-1223279293_thumb.jpg

Gents,

That is all really helpful... I had some experiences with Davidson & McMillan a few years ago but maybe they have changed since then. I am over that way occasionally so may drop in if I have no luck on the alternatives provided..

The parts diagram lists a number of variations for each component in the clutch system so I'm now wondering if I am supposed to have a single bore all of the way through rather than a crossover somewhere.. I'll explore that option as well!

When I gety a result, I'll let you know. (Can't do it this week because of work stuff :rolleyes: ).

The fitting in the master cylinder is a series 3 part(uses 1/4"od pipe & 7/16"UNF nuts), unscrew it and you will have the same 3/8"UNF thread in the master cylinder as in the slave and be back to s2/2a spec which is 3/16"od pipe and 3/8"unf tube nuts with a 3/8"unf male threaded hose.

I've got the same master and slave as you, like Phil says its a early slave and a later master cylinder. On mine I already had the larger series 3 flexi clutch hose so I got another adaptor and screwed it into the slave then used 1/4" od pipe.

• 2 weeks later...