Exhaust join between downppe and middle box

kevinr

Hi all,

What can I use to seal the gap between the downpipe and middlebox join? It's a welded olive with a clamp, however, this does not do the job 100%

Is there a gasket paste or something similar that can withstand the temperatures, or some kind of sealing grease that I can use?

We have a 96 300 TDi auto and had our front pipe (cat version) changed at ATS to a straight through pipe. The ATS "Bible" showed two versions for my disco one without and one with a cat. Both had the "flexi" joints within the pipe so the joint was not a problem. The new pipe was a bit more expensive but they made an error when they quoted me and i got it at cost price (about £90).

I dont have any garage facilities etc.. so i relied on ATS to do it and it made a vast difference to the performance.

Hope this helps

Andy

Hi all,

What can I use to seal the gap between the downpipe and middlebox join? It's a welded olive with a clamp, however, this does not do the job 100%

Is there a gasket paste or something similar that can withstand the temperatures, or some kind of sealing grease that I can use?

When I fitted my new cat back system I had to break that joint. All I did is clean the olive and the plate with a wire brush and reasemble with Holts fire gum.

You must keep the pipe and joint inline and do up the two nuts evenly, also I used a quarter of the fire gum on the joint most of it squeezed out but it's a 100% seal.