restored and running

loiner1965

Amazing difference there, you did an excellent job doing it. What is that spattered coating that was on it originally?

Les.

its an ex army series inported back into the uk in 1997 and what you see is the remains of the camo paint after the previous owner paint strippered it then used a sanding discs on a drill....he really did ruin it as i had to strip completely back to bare metal then build it all back up....drives ok but very bumpy unless on smooth roads..not sure on the mpg yet but i reckon mid 20s to 30.....i can keep 60 up on motorways no problem.......next job is to kit out the back with carpets and bench seats but need to put new tub seals on to stop draughts

Wow! That's an amazing turn around. I love that cockpit green on a Series vehicle, even though it looked bad on the Defender Heritage edition.

As far as the bumpiness goes, an ex-MoD vehicle probably has HD springs to cope with being fully loaded, so replacing them with standard or even parabolic springs will make it much more comfortable.

I lined the back of my tub with the chequer plate patterned matting from Wright Off Road, matching the kit in the cab. It's excellent stuff. I also glued a cheap, chopped up camping roll mat to the roof panels before fitting a LaSalle head lining, which smartens things up no end (as well as stopping the internal rain). The December edition of LRe should have some photos of it, or you can take a look on my blog (sig below) to get an idea before you fit water absorbing and easily stained carpets.