strange noise

dicsosfa

hello everyone ;)

i hope someone can help me with my 95 300tdi disco ,

Q1 the noise i am hearing sounds like a tinkling metal sound, it happens on acceleration (only at pulling off) and when i take my foot off the pedal also sometimes when turning ,and when using engine braking i suspect the cv joint as i have checked the prop uj's and they seem ok.

can someone tell me how to check them as i don't want to purchase some cv's if there not needed

Q2 how hard are they to change as i have basic knowledge but a will to learn (and a workshop manual)

any help very welcome thanks Roy. ;)

Worn cv's normally click when you turn on full lock. In a straight line they are under least stress, so I wouldn't imagine that's your problem. Brake backplate perhaps, anti-squeal shims on the brake pads, pinion flange dust cover come loose, shock absorber upper cover, erm..........

Les.

hi

have checked wheel nuts/shocks /mud shields all ok and have taken it out on a drive and done a test on full lock and it made a knocking noise :angry: (not everytime) seems to be front left and also does the tinkling on pulling off and using engine to slow down or too slow for the gear your in

thanks Roy.

hi and thanks to all that replied to my questions ;)

on the way to work today i noticed a slight vibration from the steering wheel from about 20 mph got worse the faster i went (so i stayed below 35 mph) and whilst going up hill it got really bad have spocken to a garage and they say its the cv's and would do them for a max of £65 -£70 + parts .

is it worth having both sides done as i did try and remove the swivel filler plug but short of heating it up it was not going to budge,

is this a reasonable price for the work involved

thanks Roy.