is it possable to dismantle a cv joint ?

gsr341

hi

i broke my front n/s half shaft whilst out laning a few weeks ago , the shaft and cv where only 2 months old (teach me for buying Paddocks hey ? !), whilst the shaft is now scrap the cv will do as a spare , only problem beeing , that there is a portion of half shft stuck in it .

i guess i could try welding a bar to the broken bit of shaft and hamering it out (seen it done) or strip the cv down :unsure:

so does any one know how you goabout removing the balls and race from a cv bell , it must be possable as they are assembled in the first place after all

thanks in advance for any tips

cv002.jpg

cv001.jpg

You can get the balls and centre hub out, but not the cage. As Bowie says - roll the cage, pop a ball out, roll the cage again and pop the next one out, and so-on as they say.

Piccies of putting one together, so reverse of this -

post-2-1224260102_thumb.jpg

post-2-1224260119_thumb.jpg

post-2-1224260128_thumb.jpg

post-2-1224260137_thumb.jpg

post-2-1224260145_thumb.jpg

post-2-1224260162_thumb.jpg

post-2-1224260183_thumb.jpg

post-2-1224260194_thumb.jpg

post-2-1224260215_thumb.jpg

post-2-1224260229_thumb.jpg

post-2-1224260237_thumb.jpg

post-2-1224260246_thumb.jpg

post-2-1224260255_thumb.jpg

post-2-1224260263_thumb.jpg

post-2-1224260270_thumb.jpg

post-2-1224260279_thumb.jpg

I couldn't get the cage out, so I assume that it's fitted and then the cup is lipped over or whatever.

Note that the centre hub has an upper and lower face. Also mark the cage in relation to the centre hub before removing the bearings, as the tracks in the centre hub and cup have to correspond with each other. There are also slots and holes in the cage too, and if you assemble it wrong (and you can do quite easily), the joint will be assembled in a siezed condition.

Note also that this was my first attempt and the centre hub is upside-down The end of the driveshaft has a ring clip on it, which expands the other side of the centre hub. I have the centre upside down in the final picture.

Les.

I've had a cage out easy enough. Need to line up one of the ball holes with one of the "peaks" in a vertical orientation and roll it out. Not to say they are all made the same but mine was like that!

we stripped one on crewcabs 110 at kirton howling wolf the other month.

got it down to knock out the halfshaft end same as this.