Always something!

roybatty666

Was fitting my Truetrac in my front axle and slapping on some 24 spline hubs off a 300tdi and all was going well but when I came to swapping my callipers over (to keep my single line ones) the copper pipe bit the dust :(

Now I suppose the best things is to get me a flaring tool (they seem cheap enough) but it looks like one end is flared -> to go into the calliper and the other the normal -< to attach to the flexible brake line. Are there different flaring tools for these ends?

Also the hex faces on the unions are a bit mashed so I need new ones of those what are thread types (I am assuming metric of some sort) of the male female unions that I need?

Any links for a cheap store to get the tool, pipe and bits would be appreciated

Unless anyone has a spare one of these pipes knocking about? ;p

Still I have two new locking diffs now with no play in the axles front or back and a llama 4x4 11" rear suspension kit fitted and the front going on tomorrow so over all it going well :)

cheers chaps

post-10621-1224266012_thumb.jpg

The left hand end looks like a single flare (convex) where it goes into the caliper and the right hand looks like the pipe has broken, it should have a double flare (concave) to fit the convex end of the flexible pipe.

You can get flaring tools from Machine Mart (carp!) or accessory shops through to proper motor factors. They should have a range of dies for different pipe sizes and flare types.

I would guess a 300 tdi would be metric fine, most likely m10 with 3/16 pipe. The flares themselves differ between imperial and metric too.

The left hand end looks like a single flare (convex) where it goes into the caliper and the right hand looks like the pipe has broken, it should have a double flare (concave) to fit the convex end of the flexible pipe.

You can get flaring tools from Machine Mart (carp!) or accessory shops through to proper motor factors. They should have a range of dies for different pipe sizes and flare types.

I would guess a 300 tdi would be metric fine, most likely m10 with 3/16 pipe. The flares themselves differ between imperial and metric too.

The calipers are actually off a 1990 TD non vented, I was told that the brake lines on all defenders is metric?

Are the lines 3/16th ?

I am slightly miffed that the smallest part of the weekends jobs has taken the Landy off the road <_<

Give Dave a ring at Llama when you have some time to spare :lol:

And order a pair of direct to calliper flexi brake hoses , then you can throw those poxy copper link pipes in the bin ,

They will cost you hell of a lot less than a decent flaring kit and a roll of knunifer pipe .

Give Dave a ring at Llama when you have some time to spare :lol:

And order a pair of direct to calliper flexi brake hoses , then you can throw those poxy copper link pipes in the bin ,

They will cost you hell of a lot less than a decent flaring kit and a roll of knunifer pipe .

nooooooooooooo I have a set of his cables sitting ready to go on but the standard replacement ones :angry::lol:

nooooooooooooo I have a set of his cables sitting ready to go on but the standard replacement ones :angry::lol:

Well he may have them back in exchange for the direct hoses , Have a measure up first to determine length needed on compression and full travel of the suspension , And ask for a 30 degree offset banjo , You may need a couple of banjo bolts , Pirtek sell these about 2 quid each .

I suppose I can flog the other ones, the copper pipes really are carp.

I have found a place online that will make the pipes with the correct ends (if my detective work is correct) for £2.99 each so that maybe cheap enough to take a punt on.

I do fancy feeding my tool fetish and getting a flaring tool, If I am only using it on copper pipes are the cheaper sealy/draper ones really that bad? I can understand for stainless etc but normal copper is so soft I can't see how they could be that terrible?

......If I am only using it on copper pipes are the cheaper sealy/draper ones really that bad? ...........

Yes, they don't always align the pipe correctly so you end up with cock-eyed flares and on my Clarke one the locating peg broke off the 3/16 die.