how to tell if the timing belt is broken

bushwhacker

I think my Disco's timing belt has broken. It happened when I was driving luckily not fast. It just lost power and the engine died. Without thinking I turned it over and it would not start.

How can I check to know for sure if it is broken.

I have taken the small cover off the timing belt case but can not see if the belt is broken, I turned it over, and the pulley on the injector is not turning, should it?

I also have no resistance on the lift pump, what is this indicating?

I am hoping it is just the belt? With engine turning over does it suggest just the belt. I'm just living in hope again?

I can remember thinking I would like to replace a timing belt, with the assistance for you guys on here of course.

I managed a clutch in my 110 in the summer so here's hoping again

Any advice and info would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

If the injection pump sprocket isn't turning (as you describe) the timing belt has broken. Don't keep turning it over...

You'll be lucky to get away without bending/breaking something. The chances are that you've bent a push-rod - worst case scenario is that a valve has stayed open and mashed the top of a piston. As a bare minimum I would look at removing the front of the timing chest and removing the head to check that no damage has been done. Change the head gasket while you are there and you've pretty much fixed everything that would need doing for a while... If you know the history of the engine, fine, otherwise replace the head bolts while you are at it.

The pushrods can be inspected without removing them from the head, but I wouldn't recommend it if you've had a timing belt failure. Sorry to say that it looks like you'll be stripping the head to make sure...

Another way of looking at it: You're stripping the head and re-setting all of the valve clearances, so hopefully your engine will be reliable for longer and you won't have to do it for quite some time. It may also help the performance a little.

HTH

Adrian

You can remove and check the pushrods without removing the head, just take the rocker shaft off and then remove the rods for inspection.

If the lift pump is on the cam (which would mean no resistance), flicking the engine over will make no difference, as the belt's not driving the camshaft either.

We check it by taking the oil filler cap off and checking if the rockers are a'rockin' - if all is still the belt has gone.

You won't likely damage anything else if the belt snapped with the engine running & vehicle moving it will already have done several dozen or even several hundred revolutions so everything that is going to, will already be nicely bent into its "untimed" position :)

I don't know about 200s but 300s almost never need anything apart from a fistful of pushrods, maybe a rocker or two, and new rotator caps - we almost never take the head off 300s.

Yip, I agree with all of the above - mines gone twice now and both times have added up to a grand total of 16 push-rods, 2 rockers (one each inlet/exhaust) and 2 valve stem caps.

I just turned it over by hand and looked for the rockers moving through the oil filler cap same as the monster.........

Thank's guy's much apprecieated advise.

Looks like I'm going to get to do a timing belt and maybe some pushrods and what ever else.

The only bit I am not looking forward to is setting the pump but I'll cross that bridge when it comes at me.

There's probably a thread on here I can glean more help from. :rolleyes:

Thanks again

Mark