Scorpion evolution kit

Josh

I bought bumpstops and brake lines with the kit! I thought i was getting +2" dampers so they were a must.

I really hope i get this sorted! Otherwise it will have been an expensive modification.

Josh

I still run Pro Comp +2" shocks all round on my Discovery. It has very balanced articulation due to a huge amount of custom fab work (including front 3 link suspension). It's got -2" shock mounts which work ok:

post-5209-1224961047_thumb.jpg

However, David Lang's (Landrover598 on the forum) beast does it like this, using longer shocks and home made raised mounts, similar to the process that the Glynn Lewis kit uses. Note the amount the rear axle articulates is way more than mine, but the front doesn't twist as much in part due to my 3 link, and in part due to the extra couple of tonnes of weight in my Discovery!!:

post-5209-1224961206_thumb.jpg

If you are gonna buy new shock or mounts or both then you may aswell get +5's and raised mounts, even if other parts of your disco wont allow the extra travel right now at least you know its there in future.

Can you explain the way raised mounts work to me please?

I get the feeling that using lowered mounts is seen to be less effective than using longer shocks and raised mounts.

My simple maths tells me a standard shock with a -2" mount = +2" travel. A +2" mount with a +5" shock = +3" travel.

Why is it worth the expense/complication for the extra inch? I'm sure I must be missing somthing.

Stu.

That makes sense, thanks.

Looking at the pictures of the trucks above I can see why the bottom truck would find that the best set up. Having no inner wheelarch to spak of, big tyres can fit easily into the space even on full compression.

Thanks again, Stu.

Thanks for the heads up on the mounts Stu. I will ring MM4x4 tomorrow and if its bad news then i will take them!

I can see from the pictures posted above that +2" shocks will give me the travel/ articulation i need. It is my daily driver and i cant justify spending the money on a new setup. Gredit crunch 'n' all!

Josh

Josh, sorry I didn't explain my photos, that's what I meant, if you already have +2" shocks then you can get a lot of articulation. More than enough for what you're using the truck for.

Spend it right, spend it once is great, if you haven't already got shocks like you have and I had!

Well i spoke to MM4x4 earlier. I bought their standard lift kit. Springs and shocks. They say that with this kit they only provide standard shocks as the kit doesnt include longer brake lines, dislocation cones etc. They say this is the case because they had complaints from customers having springs pop out and brake lines snap. They do sell a off road lift kit which comprises of everything you need to have +2" shocks. The bloke said that if i had stated that i wanted +2" with the smaller kit then that would have been done at my own risk. I made the point that i was never asked if i wanted longer shocks but i shouldnt have assumed they were +2's.

So in a nutshell i suppose im partly to blame.

Josh

If they got the customer service right in the first place though and explained to customers just what they were buying then not only would it have avoided customer complaints, but also you would have likely bought a set of longer brake lines etc. at the same time. Satisfied customers are more profitable than unstanisfied customers, one day they might work that one out.

They sold people kits with longer dampers without explaining the implications of the kit so instead of explaing the issues they just supply changed the kit to near standard items. Somethimes its difficult to know whether to laugh or cry.

If you're not gonna do a huge amount of off roading the standard length shocks on -2" lowered mounts will work fine with your lift springs.

If you want to do a fair mount off road and think it may develop in the future then you might be best off cutting your losses and selling off the standard length shocks. The lowered mount parts will cost you at least £50, if not closer to £75. You could probably sell your used shocks for about £80 and a set of new +4" shocks will set you back about £150 to £160, so costing about the same amount!

What effect would 4" shocks have on the ride - ie roll on corners? I have had a look around and cant find anyone who sells +4" shocks. Any hints would be much appreciated.

Josh

The length of the shocks wont alter the body roll. Depends upon you spring rate IE poundage & how much lift youve opted for. Discos are quite tall any way so lifting does amplify roll if not done on correst springs.Unless youve opted for softish springs for articulation purposes. Stiffer dampers will less body roll but at the lower end of the budget damper you wont have the option of adjust damping.

Adrian

The springs im runing are bearmach HD's so there pretty stiff, the body roll at the moment is minimal really compared to some lifted andies iv been in. I have been looking at rough country shocks and they seem to get good reviews and have a longer life expectancy than pro comps. they arent too cheap but i have learnt my lesson! Im buying right and buying to last!

Josh

I fitted some rough country dampers to the front of my 90 a few weeks ago. Excellent for the price.Alleged to be stronger than procomps but personally have never used them. Think they were 37quid each from llama4x4. Dont know how they would fare on a disco with the extra weight tho.Have a chat with dave at llama4x4 he could tell you how they have been valved & whether ok for disco.

Ade

Hi all,

Just an update post. I have managed to sell my standard length pro comps to a friend for 80quid which im pleased about. In their place i have just ordered some +5" rough country shocks and mounts from david at Llama 4x4. What a helpful bloke! Told him my issues and he had an instant recomended setup. Once i have had chance to fit the kit i wil post some pics.

Thanks again for everyones help.

Josh