selling a series 3

david1701

Right I'm a student, and my landy doesn't get the time or use she needs and my home address is soon to be a flat.

So basically she has to go.

Right now she looks fairly rough doesn't go has no mot and is sorn.

The windows are hideous, the ignition system doesn't like being sat (but i have replacement parts for a full service of everything inc ht leads) and the electrics are fairly shot. The big things like chassis gearbox engine and suspension have all beeen rebuilt and replaced in the last 10 years.

Is it best financially and in terms of time investment to simply sell her as she is, or to spend a lot of time sorting her out then selling her?

A 1982 88"series III with a 2" lift and bonnet mounted spare wheel in Nato green and cream paint.

Cheers David

Not a good time right now - at best I reckon you'll only get scrap value any more is a bonus. If you spend the time and money to sort it out you'll definatley get more but whether it's enough to make it worthwhile is probably more down to luck than judgement.

Your final option is to break it for spares, and scrap the remainder.

Hi

If you can find somewhere to keep it, and its not costing you anything to keep hold of it then why not just keep it and rebuild it yourself long term? Financially thinking they aren't worth much even nice ones with long tax/test don't seem to be selling well at the moment so as said above yours is probably worth scrap value.

I feel your pain though, I'm a student and have been rebuilding my 110 over the last 3 years on a shoestring budget, was only supposed to be off the road for a weekend!

Mike

To give you an idea, we recently picked up a 1981 LWB Safari on a galvanised chassis, engine and gearbox very good although engine smokes a bit on first starting. 2 months MOT, and will require welding to the bulkhead to get through next MOT. Body generally in good condition just the doors which are starting to go. All electrics work perfectly.

Picked it up from 100 miles away and it drove back perfectly. Price was £300

Frankly even taxed and moted and all up and together you'll be lucky to get £1000 for it!

Unless its something really special people just dont want series these days! Especially now 90's have got so cheap!

Somethig thats sorned, with no mot and needing a pile of work is only worth a few hundred these days. You wont get alot from trying to break it either these days cos once again - nobody wants series bits!

Jon

yes, very sad situation - we all find ourselves there with some vehicle or other!

I've just been offered 1K for a car I've just spent 2.5K on, 1.5K the year before, gradually improving it. Even with 12months MOT and tyres worth £650, it's only worth 1K!

I think your series needs to find a good home, and you need to be realistic about what you can get for it. ideally, you need to find someone that really fancies a project, and does have the time and skills to embrace it. let's face it, it will take some courage on someone's part to commit (the commitment is always open-ended and always bigger than one thought)

if you could find some interim home so you didn't have to get rid in a panic, that would be nice, but people are very wary of others dumping landrovers on them!

frankly, if I had space, I'd love to get one for my son to learn to work on, but a no-goer (with electrical stuff) would still be max £300

good luck anyway, hope you find a good home for it!

regards

ppl