eekkkk!!!

Max Series-3

The other day my land rover ran out of fuel put some more in the next day but the battery had gone flat!!! Been on charge since wednesday and wouldn't start tonight! I was just wondering if there is anything that i should check??

Thanks Max :D

The battery.

when you run them out of fuel, a petrol will usually self prime after a bit of cranking so i wouldnt start looking at fuel.

Is the engine turning over well or not? if not, then check your earths, theres one between the neg terminal of battery and side post of battery tray and one between starter and chassis. Also, dont trust a battery charger, they dont give you an idea of the condition of the battery, mine told me it was fine but left over night it went dead. Last thing to check is for a spark, after all if theres petrol, air and a spark it ought to show some signs of life.

hi

does the engine turn over?

if not although the battery voltage is 12v with no load the real indicator is what the voltage is when the key is turned to start (high load) if any lower than 9v then a new battery is needed, do you know the charger is good?

hope this helps

matt

hi

i would put a multimeter across the battery whilst cranking i would expect it to drop right off as it stops turning it sounds like it doesn't hold any charge. if you had another battery you could connect that up and just try it if it goes then a new battery it is, if not then then it eliminates the battery and as Dave suggested look at all the earths.

matt

Make sure you have a starter dog in the centre of the crank pulley (that the starter handle locates in). Turn the ignition on, pull out the choke as you normally do to start it on the key, and then turn the engine with the handle as fast as you can. Make sure the starter dog is greased - if it grips the handle through rust or whatever - when the engine fires it can break your wrist.

Les.