Part Numbers

I called a US distributor about part number ETC5297. I was told that that number was superseded by ERR1454. When I searched some English suppliers where I had failed before, there it was. Anyone care to enlighten me about "new" part numbers or how one figures out what they are?

Cheers

Thanks Western, but I understood that bit.

I'm wondering what is the story behind "superseded part numbers" and how to find out which ones they are. I'd like to know because a search for the original part # didn't turn anything up, but the "new" part number did.

superseded number normally coincide with a update or new model change in the production run, there isn't a definitive list of old to updated numbers, the only way to find a new number is with the latest part info for the subject vehicle or give the parts supplier/main dealer the old number & they maybe able to tell you the latest number as you've found.

Guest diesel_jim
Thanks Western, but I got that bit.

I'm wondering what is the story behind "superseded part numbers" and how to find out which ones they are. I'd like to know because a search for the original part # didn't turn anything up, but the "new" part number did.

It's just one of those "things", like "how do womens brains work", we don't know, it just happens.

Chatting to my local dealer about the same thing, a while back (superceded part numbers, not womens brains) and they don't know either.

It seems to be loosely related to which company actually runs the "stock system", which this week is to do with caterpillar, i think, and the numbers seem to correlate to their own method (along the lines of lots of numbers similar to LR005154 or YWB500060 or YQS500380 as opposed to the old type ETC5927)

FWIW... that last number, YQS500380, which is for a decal on the latest 2.4 TDCi 90, has already been superceded to YQS500350, and this is from my september 2008 microcat! so brand new stuff is already having their numbers changed.

From the Land Rover parts manual for the 110 upto August 1986 (in the 2.25 petrol engine section), the part number ETC5297 is a "Breather Silencer Assy, which is used with the latest type rocker cover (ETC5955) which uses the breather filter hole as the oil filler".

According to the diagram it sits on the rear most bolt of the rocker cover & appears to be a rubber bushing of some kind.