Jap import insurance

rocky

Hi, My my disco 1 300tdi costs me £189 to insure fully comp with one year ncb. I asked the same company to quote me for a jap import T reg 300tdi and they came back with £350. They are virtually the same as uk spec so how do they justify the extra dosh?

I had no difference in price on mine, at least nothing that didn't come down to factors such as worth more and higher specification.

The vehicle is EXACTLY the same spec as the UK, so you should be able to find a decent quote from someone else.

Hi, My my disco 1 300tdi costs me £189 to insure fully comp with one year ncb. I asked the same company to quote me for a jap import T reg 300tdi and they came back with £350. They are virtually the same as uk spec so how do they justify the extra dosh?

Hi,

If you would like to PM me your name and postcode i can look into it and explain why there was a difference and also make sure the details had been correctly inputted.

Regards,

Dan.

Another thing to be aware of......

If you buy a Jap import then I remember reading somewhere that for taxation purposes it will come under the rulings for current vehicles. IE you could buy a nice mint TDI and be paying the high rate road tax. That's assuming the stick their guns and make the change.

Another thing to be aware of......

If you buy a Jap import then I remember reading somewhere that for taxation purposes it will come under the rulings for current vehicles. IE you could buy a nice mint TDI and be paying the high rate road tax. That's assuming the stick their guns and make the change.

Im not sure thats 100%, I have a 1995 TDI imported in 2004, its on a M plate and is taxed at £185. Which is the pre 2001 rate according to this DVLA link

Hi Stephen337, sorry I didn't explain myself properly.

If you import when the new taxation is in place when it gets registered it comes in under the new rules. The new rules are not in place yet, you may get affected because your vehicle was imported in 2004. The new rules affect anything 2001-Y onwards. It is still possible that they back down.

I read this in Land Rover Owner International.

I re-read the DVLA website and it indeed says:

Vehicle tax will be payable in line with the vehicle’s first registration date in the UK. Even if the vehicle has been previously registered abroad, the date it's first registered in the UK will determine the amount of vehicle tax that’s payable. Additionally, DVLA will allocate a vehicle registration number appropriate to the vehicle’s first registration abroad.

Which is confusing because my Disco was registered in 2004 so I should be in the after 2001 tax group (ie currently be paying 210 for a car over 185g/co2), but my tax disc is £185pa which is the current pre-2001 rate.

Im confused.

Maybe I should just keep quiet.