wheel arches

Nev

Only if you cut the body panels to match the profile of the Defender wheel arch. However, it looks daft unless you have the later wide axles or wider wheels (spacers alone don't move the wheel far out enough to be proud of the panels - you need at least 2" of outer side wall adjustment).

If you do this, make a cardboard template to transfer the shape accurately onto the panels, remembering to leave 2" long tabs that will be bent 90 degrees inwards after cutting. These tabs will be for the plastic rivets holding the wheel arches in place, so need to be in line with the rivet holes on the wheel arches.

Consider that while replacing the outer panels on the front wings to later return the body to standard is easy, repairing the tub is all but impossible - it's a one-way mod. Before you do it, have a close look at other vehicles that have had it done to make sure it's what you want. Mine is in the December LRe magazine (subscribers received it yesterday), so that's one you can look at (one note - the wheels are 7" rims with a 2" offset over the standard LR rims, not 7" offset as written in their article).

I fitted a set of extended ones from ebay, worked quite nicely although they would look daft with small tyres, TBH I prefer Series without the defender-alike additions but I couldn't really avoid it. Had to trim the front wings back a fair bit anyway, the rears work without trimming:

Jen_IMG_1202.jpg

I fitted a set of extended ones from ebay, worked quite nicely although they would look daft with small tyres, TBH I prefer Series without the defender-alike additions but I couldn't really avoid it. Had to trim the front wings back a fair bit anyway, the rears work without trimming:

Jen_IMG_1202.jpg

That is a nice looking series mate. How did you lift yours, i have ordered taratantula 4x4 2" lift shackles but do you need any thing else to lift tye front spring hangers.

That is a nice looking series mate. How did you lift yours, i have ordered taratantula 4x4 2" lift shackles but do you need any thing else to lift tye front spring hangers.

It's not lifted, the shackles are standard length. The drop is in the portal axles. I think you'll have prop angle issues with just extended shackles. What are you aiming for with the lift?

I did chortle to myself when i looked at fridges rear arches at billing and saw the entire standard arch still sat there. (i suppose thats so you can rivet the holes up if you wish to return to a near concourse finish?)

The tyres only just kiss the top of the standard arch on full flex, so why would I want to take a grinder to my bodywork :huh: The fronts were a different story, they fouled proper on lock, and wings can be purchased and bolted on much more easily than CSW tub sides (which at the time I couldn't even buy for under £500 a pair!)

The tyres only just kiss the top of the standard arch on full flex, so why would I want to take a grinder to my bodywork :huh: The fronts were a different story, they fouled proper on lock, and wings can be purchased and bolted on much more easily than CSW tub sides (which at the time I couldn't even buy for under £500 a pair!)
Sounds very sensible, making the mod reversible. My rear wings were cut, so I can't remove the wheel arches in the future (though the plan to fit Defender axles would prevent that anyway).

post-4758-1225887942_thumb.jpg