Manual to auto gearbox

After some months of pondering I have decided to swap the LT85 in my Ninety for a 4 speed auto from a RRC. The plan is to bolt it to the LT230. I am told this will fit direct. Can anyone confirm this?

The vehicle is a factory built 1986 V8 with LT85. Will the ZF 4 speeder fit under my existing tunnel and seatbox, or will I need to change some panels around?

Engine is currently an ex 1995 Disco 3.9.

Thanks in advance.

Have a look at Ashcrofts website, think there are some pics there. They use an NAS spec moulding for the shifter as it ends up roughly on the front edge of where the middle seat would be.

save you some time, here's the link http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/part_56.html

Hi Sean

I looked at Ashcroft's site a while back, and indeed this shifter kit looks superb, if a bit pricey for me. I'm planning to use as many bits from the donor car as I can and fabricate the rest.

My main area of interest right now is whether the tunnel or seatbox will need changing to accomodate the ZF autobox. I've had a re-read of Ashcroft's pages as well as a search on here and haven't turned up the info I need yet. Must keep looking.

Thanks.

Hi Sean

I looked at Ashcroft's site a while back, and indeed this shifter kit looks superb, if a bit pricey for me. I'm planning to use as many bits from the donor car as I can and fabricate the rest.

My main area of interest right now is whether the tunnel or seatbox will need changing to accomodate the ZF autobox. I've had a re-read of Ashcroft's pages as well as a search on here and haven't turned up the info I need yet. Must keep looking.

Thanks.

I changed my nas from manual R380 to RR 4 speed auto

Used the transfer box that came with the auto and sold the original R380/transfer complete.

I cannot remember if a new transmission cover was needed, I guess probably with a change in high/low lever position a new cover was fitted?

The RR box and RR transfer box had a refurbished Ashcroft fitted a couple of years after the installation.

Last year I had Ashcroft supply a transfer box with 1.22 gearing not 1.4 gearing in the transfer box.

There's plenty of room round the tunnel from an LT85 box. Sticking an auto behind a factory fitted v8 is as easy as it gets if you have a doner vehicle. Use the Hi/Lo linkage and mountings from the doner RR and the lever pops up in the right place.

Then use the NAS gaiter with no bellows for the removed manual gear lever.

How and where you mount the auto shifter is up to you, but there are pics on here of how i and others have done it without spending ££s on the proper consul.

I would also use the 1.2 T/box with a V8 unless you intend to run big tyres.

Don't forget you will also need the kickdown linkage at the throttle end.

Is the current 3.9 on efi or carbs?

Efi is easy, SU carbs, the parts are available but harder to get.

Hi/Low lever comes up in the same place if you use the std R380 (FRC8558) casting to mount it on which may be the same as the on you currently have. if not it will be the same as the one on the auto box anyway

Thanks everyone for your comments.

I was planning to keep my existing t/box on the basis that the selector lever will stay in the same place. It's a 1.2 box as fitted to a factory V8 90, this works well with the 265 BFGs that I currently run.

The engine is an EFI, came from a 1995 Disco that was an auto, so I hope all the brackets I need will be in place.

I hope to scavenge all other sundries off the donor car when I find the right one. I have an offer of an RRC to remove the box from myself. This should make the scavenging easier.

So, parts to collect apart from the box,

Shift lever, cable & brackets

Kickdown linkage

Oil cooler and pipework

Chassis mounting brackets...

What have I not thought of?