Welding Volvo portals

angusb

I will need to weld new suspension mountings onto the volvo portals I will be using on my upcoming vapour build and am not sure my 185A mig welder will be man enough. It will weld up to 6mm with decent penetration. Has anyone else done this kind of welding on volvo portals? If so do you know how thick the walls on them are? What welder did you use?

Cheers,

Angus

Have a look at Jen's build in the members vehicles forum - particularly here. Having a 180 A machine myself I strongly suspect that more amps would be required to get this sort of penetration. I am not saying it's not possible with a 185 turned right up, and the wire speed kept down to a minimum, but more amps would certainly help...

hth

Mark

depends what you are doing Angus - if its just lower spring mounts you will be ok, coilover mounts would be the wrong side of the borderline. If its mounts for links then I wouldnt try it with a 185, wall thickness is 6mm on the casing, depending on the suspension setup, castor, size of wheels, suspension type and speed you drive at, each weld can (and will) be subjected to some serious kicking. Im sure theres people that would do it but not me

all our axle gigs are done with either a migatronic 450, an ESAB LAU 400 or a Miller Aerowave

You mean like this?

post-21-1225807282_thumb.jpg

Yep that's exactly what I meant. I have spent this morning at work ;) reading the thread about Jen's build and it didn't say what welder had been used to weld the mounts. Like you say Mark, I think even with maximum power and minimum wire speed I'll be pushing it with my little single phase welder :( . Plan B is needed I think.

Thanks for the advice guys.

depends what you are doing Angus - if its just lower spring mounts you will be ok, coilover mounts would be the wrong side of the borderline. If its mounts for links then I wouldnt try it with a 185, wall thickness is 6mm on the casing, depending on the suspension setup, castor, size of wheels, suspension type and speed you drive at, each weld can (and will) be subjected to some serious kicking. Im sure theres people that would do it but not me

all our axle gigs are done with either a migatronic 450, an ESAB LAU 400 or a Miller Aerowave

I am planning to put the portals on a series, and I was going to stick with leafers (almost certainly parabolics) so I would have to weld not just the plates underneath the axles but the mounts for the U bolts to bolt onto as well. I'm going to need a bigger welder :-)

Cheers

There's also the issue that many smaller welders are rather optimistic with their power figures, it might manage 180A for a couple of seconds but really you want to hit it hard in one go, not stitch the thing together in between thermal dramas.

Oh yes - where's your build thread then? We need more portaled Series vehicles :P

... I am not saying it's not possible with a 185 turned right up, and the wire speed kept down to a minimum, but more amps would certainly help...

hth

Mark

That's not how mig welders work.

Mig are constant voltage machines, stick and tig are constant current.

With mig, you set the voltage using the welders controls. Then the current is proportional to the wire speed - increase the wire speed will draw more current, reduce wire speed will draw less current.

That's not how mig welders work.

Mig are constant voltage machines, stick and tig are constant current.

With mig, you set the voltage using the welders controls. Then the current is proportional to the wire speed - increase the wire speed will draw more current, reduce wire speed will draw less current.

Actually it is somewhat more simple. By reducing the wirespeed you spend more time heating a very localised area. Therefore the penetration gets deeper. Has nothing to do with adjusting current or voltage.

There's also the issue that many smaller welders are rather optimistic with their power figures, it might manage 180A for a couple of seconds but really you want to hit it hard in one go, not stitch the thing together in between thermal dramas.

Oh yes - where's your build thread then? We need more portaled Series vehicles :P

Having tested my welder at max power last night I think I would be pushing it to weld 6mm with the penetration I'd like for such a heavily stressed weld. I welded 6mm plate to 10mm plate on a variety of settings which confirmed I think I'm going to get a mate to do the suspension mounts with his big 3 phase welder. I'm also willing to admit he's also a better and more experienced welder than me.

I have started my build thread here:

magic beans

The defender is my daily drive, I have to have something to get about in and pick stuff up/ drop stuff off etc.

post-9587-1225879427_thumb.jpg

oooh, I like the collection of C303's.... :)

Me too :) one has sh**ty bodywork but is pretty good mechanically, the other has broken suspension, engine, gearbox, brakes and transfer box. Between the two theres one good 303 and a load of parts for a really nice series. I have a rotten RRC as well with a 300tdi r380 and lt230 1.2 ratio tbox which I really ought to weld up and sell but I might have to break it up and put the engine, gearbox and tbox into a series.

Me too :) one has sh**ty bodywork but is pretty good mechanically, the other has broken suspension, engine, gearbox, brakes and transfer box. Between the two theres one good 303 and a load of parts for a really nice series. I have a rotten RRC as well with a 300tdi r380 and lt230 1.2 ratio tbox which I really ought to weld up and sell but I might have to break it up and put the engine, gearbox and tbox into a series.

As much as I dislike diseasals, that does sound like a pretty sweet combo.

As much as I dislike diseasals, that does sound like a pretty sweet combo.

Cheers, it is a VERY long way from being complete at the moment though, I don't even have a series to put all the bits on yet... and if buy another land rover without getting rid of at least one truck not only will I run out of room to get anything done, I'll probably be single as well. Having said that I suppose I'd have more time to work on the trucks then :)

I'll probably be single as well. Having said that I suppose I'd have more time to work on the trucks then :)

thats the spirit - think of the positives in life!!!

You could even start overhauling axles in the comfort of a centrally heated kitchen and use the dishwasher to clean parts. :lol: