2.6 S3 Engine Oil Question

beko1987

When payday rolls around again, I want to do a complete oil change in my S3. At the moment the oil level just hits the bottom of the dipstick, so something needs to happen soonish! According to the service manual, I need 15w/50 oil. Is this correct, or would I get away with 15w40 oil? The main factor is the price, although if it will make a significant engine exploding difference then I'll stick with the service manual's judgement. Just thought that as the engine is now 30 years old, it probably isn't as tight as once it was, would 10 digits make any difference?

I used 20w50 in my old 2.25 petrol and would deff use it in an aging 6-cyl!

Thicker viscosity oil than 15w50 so the chance of burning it is less

and it's cheaper as well, sucess! Need lots of it as EVERYTHING is dry! Pondered the 5l for £3 asda premium oil, but thought melted lard would do a better job! Is there a special way to flush an engine out or am I best opening the drain plug, having a cup of tea, fag, check emails etc and letting it fully drain out? Are there any products I can pour into the engine to clean it out?

A twenty fify will do the job fine, as the important part is its viscosity when hot. There is nothing really to be gained by flushing as any multigrade oil is a detergent oil and will clean as it goes. The only need for a flushing oil is if you have had a contamination eg water in oil causing emulsification .

make sure you keep the ex valve clearances up to spec as they burn valves real quick . Also check on the brass drive gear on the dizzy/oil pump drive as they are also prone to wear, and tend to go concave .

• 2 weeks later...

Will this oil be any good?

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...ber_537977#dtab

Halfords 'Premium!' All they had on the website, will go into the store at some point.

On a related note, what oil would I need for the transfer box? Took the inspection panel off today and it looked a little dry.

Draining with the engine hot will help. Wear gloves and be careful not to cover yourself in hot old oil!!