300 tdi noise

mscowley

Hi all just a cry for help there is this noise that starts at about 25/30 and its atits loudeist at 40 and stops at 50/55 its making a pulsating warring noise, I've just changed the front diff cause the old one the bearing on the pinion wheel colapsed and snapped the flange that bolts to the front prop shaft, I had the noise before but it seems to of got louder since.

I'm running 235 85 16 goodyear wrangler m/t that I've just balanced thinking it might be tyre noise but no difference.

cheers Matt :(

rear flexible coupling/rotflex/donut?

sounds a bit like what my dad's did... does it happen mostly on acceleration, overrun, steady speed?

most of the time but its louder on the come down, as the flange sheared of the diff is it possible that the front prop could have a slight bend in it and that is whats causing the noise.

most of the time but its louder on the come down, as the flange sheared of the diff is it possible that the front prop could have a slight bend in it and that is whats causing the noise.

I have had a similar problem and bent the drive flange on the front prop shaft which threw it all out of balance.

I have had a similar problem and bent the drive flange on the front prop shaft which threw it all out of balance.

Check out front drive shaft UJ's, especially one infront of transfer box.

Another possibility - but unlikely, is the front transfer box output bearing.

Sounds like prop shaft UJ's to me. To check in situ, jack both axles on same side (support safely) & twist flanges against prob by hand. Even the slightest bit of slop will cause virbation on powerdown/deceleration - - - - especially if you have a lift-kit fitted.

Filthy. :blink:

I've swopped my front prop with another one yesterday but still got the same problem been given a rear one to change over and try as well, but I've also been told that the hand brake can stick on disco's and course that sort of noise as well.

I've swopped my front prop with another one yesterday but still got the same problem been given a rear one to change over and try as well, but I've also been told that the hand brake can stick on disco's and course that sort of noise as well.

Easy. Find out which end.

Remove the front prop totally & engage the diff lock. & go for a drive.

If no vibration, you know which end - but it does not isolate bearing issues on t'box or diff.

Then remove rear prop & leave front one fitted, engage diff lock & go drive again. This way you isolate which end & narrow it down a bit.

If you partly jack one rear wheel & turn handbrake drum by hand, you will feel instantly if it is binding.

These machines have so little power any way, that you'd know if the brake was binding. . . you'd be stationary.

This test will not show up worn diff bearings, or transfer output bearings - just props.

You can drive GENTLY, not towing or stupid standing starts for months with no damage to diffs - just make sure your diffs are filled correctly & drive gently.

Filthy

Hi all just a cry for help there is this noise that starts at about 25/30 and its atits loudeist at 40 and stops at 50/55 its making a pulsating warring noise, I've just changed the front diff cause the old one the bearing on the pinion wheel colapsed and snapped the flange that bolts to the front prop shaft, I had the noise before but it seems to of got louder since.

I'm running 235 85 16 goodyear wrangler m/t that I've just balanced thinking it might be tyre noise but no difference.

cheers Matt :(

I have the exact same problem and have been trying to sort it for months (with no joy).

Have changed front prop, t'box, and changed oils in diffs, g'box & t'box..

Not looked at the handbrake or rear prop though so will check that out next.

Let me know how you get on!