2.5 NA sherpa engine

pfwilko

2.5 NA sherpa in a S111

hi. i have oil leakage into the cooling system, where could it be coming from? the head gasket is sound and the engine runs and pulls beautifully. could the block have gone porous or is there a something that could be causing it that can be fixed.

Oil in the cooling system is almost always blown headgasket, there is normally no other way that it can get there. The car can run fine with a head gasket blown if the leak is between oil and water channels.

Is there also water in the oil?

You should have it compression tested.

I have had this problem on a 2.5 NA. It was after bending a conrod (hydraulic lock!!) which after rebuilding with a new rod and headgasket turned out to be a barely visible crack at the bottom of the bore where the rod had hit. Having said that I would make doubly sure its not the headgasket first as this is the most likely place for a problem.

Good luck hope its just the gasket

There is no pressurised oil way thro the head gasket but there is a plugged oil way at the front cam side that could leak and find its way to a water gallery. This is not unique to the sherpa but is applicable to all the 2.25's & 2.5's as well. So try the head gasket.

Just a thought is your sherpa engine a very late one with the turbo(19J) block, identified by the oil feed and return being plugged on the manifold side, they suffer with internal cracking from the turbo feed oil gallery into the water jacket which has no cure apart from a replacement block.

What's convinced you that its not the head gasket?

hi, my first thought was the head gasket but when i took the head off the gasket was in good order with no signs of leakage between any of the different holes so i replaced it and then flushed the cooling system until there was no signs of any oil but after a week of gentle use there was definitly oil in the top of the rad.