Servicing a HSE 4.6

jules

Reading fault codes could be good, but unless there are fault messages it is unlikely.

I have my own BlackBox kit. Other than that, if you disconnect the battery from both

+ and -, when you reconnect have the key in your pocket and the drivers door open.

Otherwise the locks will automatically go into Fort Knox mode, as soon as the + is reconnected.

Everything else would be like servicing on your LSE.

@Jules. A trick I have used when changing batteries on 'sensitive' cars is to use a fully charged 'jump pack' as a temporary supply for the ECU etc.

Connect the earth lead of the jump pack to a good earth on car and the positive of the jump pack to the positive battery clamp/lead. You can just about undo the battery lead with the jump pack connected.....you need to make sure it stays connected. :) This will act as a 'keep alive' for the ECU and alarm and it will be non the wiser ;)

Take your time cos it's not easy to juggle everything, but if you work on different cars and are not sure what to expect then it is a good 'better safe than sorry' option :)

I have changed batteries on both my 4.6SE and my girlfriends 2.5DT without any special precautions and didn't experience problems afterwards. It is a bad idea to leave the ECU's without power for a porlonged time (I kept a power feed to it during the engine rebuild for example), but for short work (welding, battery/alternator replacement...) you should be fine.