Tyres - simex/silverstone/fedima

Timmy511

First off, sorry if this is in the wrong section but seeing as 35" tyres are usually competition tyres i thought id get a better response in here.

I have a set of 4 35/10.5x15 simex ets and now befor i use them at a winch challenge or a pay day i need a spare so today i enquired about prices.

Simex have gone up to 200 pounds a tyre.

Silverstone extremes are at 156

and fedimas are 145

What id like to know is, what are the silverstones and fedimas like compared to simex, im told fedima have alot thicker sidewalls but they are remoulds, and silverstones are new tyres but i dont know what the casing are like compared to the others.

do you have any experience of them and what would you spend your money on?

it may only be a spare for now but whatever i buy as a spare will end up replacing the simex when they wear out and then use the simex as spares.

cheers, Tim.

I would also be interested in Tim's thread as I require a 35" simex or similar, although mine are 11.5" wide? That doesn't make them any taller than the 10.5" for some stupid reason does it?

Sorry for a little hi-jack Tim :ph34r:

its fine with me matey, thread jack away.

i dont think them being 11.5" wide will alter the hight, but i dont know if fedima or silverstone do any 11.5" wide tyre. but like me if its for a spare anything 35" dia and close will do, id just prefer a similar tread pattern.

A lot of people are going for 35/11.5/15 at the mo as they are measuring an inch taller than the specified sizing. Personally cant confirm this. Im running 35/10.5/16 fedimas, they stand at 36 3/4" @28psi. Clearance is superb & have seen simex in the same situations not clearing so well. 150quid each from Kingoffroad & worth everypenny.

Adrian

A lot of people are going for 35/11.5/15 at the mo as they are measuring an inch taller than the specified sizing. Personally cant confirm this. Im running 35/10.5/16 fedimas, they stand at 36 3/4" @28psi. Clearance is superb & have seen simex in the same situations not clearing so well. 150quid each from Kingoffroad & worth everypenny.

Adrian

have you experience them shedding any rubber like other remoulds e.g. grizzly claws.

its fine with me matey, thread jack away.

i dont think them being 11.5" wide will alter the hight, but i dont know if fedima or silverstone do any 11.5" wide tyre. but like me if its for a spare anything 35" dia and close will do, id just prefer a similar tread pattern.

Cheers Buddy,

I don't mind whether they are 10.5 or 11.5 wide really, as long as they are the same height then because it is a spare it doesn't really matter too much. All I know is that my 35/11.5 16 et2's are 35" tall at 18psi on an 8" wide rim

If you dont want to be fitting lower ratio ring and pinions to correct the gearing then go for the Silverstones they stand about 33" high IIRC, On the other hand the Fedimas are way better in the rutts than Simex or Silverstone , But they are heavy probably because they are using commercial vehicle carcases and you may have to adjust your gearing to suit .

I have owned my Fedimas since Feb 2006 and they seem to be lasting very well with no signs of deterioation and they are fitted to beadlocks running about 5 psi .

They are cheaper than the rest being a remould I guess but that shouldnt make any difference to their performance , But adjusting your gear ratios down is going to cost a bit .

have you experience them shedding any rubber like other remoulds e.g. grizzly claws.

Ive got one tyre showing signs of delamination in an area about 1.5" dia. Not overly bothered as they dont go on road much & when they do not at great speed. Yes they are really heavy but I will say that due to the rigidity of the carcass, Ive thrown a bead, continued with it deflated of the rim to finish the section & its still not shown any signs of damage. Then reseated with no loss of air.

Ive got one tyre showing signs of delamination in an area about 1.5" dia. Not overly bothered as they dont go on road much & when they do not at great speed. Yes they are really heavy but I will say that due to the rigidity of the carcass, Ive thrown a bead, continued with it deflated of the rim to finish the section & its still not shown any signs of damage. Then reseated with no loss of air.

wel in light of the silverstones being 33s and fedimas having a very thick sidewall it looks like king off road will be getting a call a week on monday after payday!

as for gear ratios, i hear what your saying, and i hope to sort it using some landcruiser axles! - eventually! (uni and work is taking alot of time atm!)

If your planning on using it on the road at all stick with the tires you've got as a fedima on one axle and a simex on the other side will cause you alot of problems at anything over15 mph. and if your running lockers offroad then you'll constantaly be turning one way or the other.

More info on the silverstone:SILXT_d.jpg Einsatz Straße / Gelände: 10/90 %

zul. Felgenmaulweite: 8,0-10,0 Zoll

Reifenbreite: 290 mm

Reifendurchmesser: 883 mm

Abrollumfang: 2774 mm

Tragfähigkeit: 1400 kg

zul. Höchstgeschwindigkeit: 120 km/h

M+S-Kennung: Ja

Schneeflockensymbol:

Profiltiefe: mm

Gewicht: 29.0 kg

Seitenwandbeschriftung: schwarz

More info on the silverstone:SILXT_d.jpg Einsatz Straße / Gelände: 10/90 %

zul. Felgenmaulweite: 8,0-10,0 Zoll

Reifenbreite: 290 mm

Reifendurchmesser: 883 mm

Abrollumfang: 2774 mm

Tragfähigkeit: 1400 kg

zul. Höchstgeschwindigkeit: 120 km/h

M+S-Kennung: Ja

Schneeflockensymbol:

Profiltiefe: mm

Gewicht: 29.0 kg

Seitenwandbeschriftung: schwarz

who sells them??

watson

bloody marvelous.

When I was looking for a spare 2 months ago I couldn't find one anywhere I even wrang bronco who said they no longer stocked them I even e mailed silverstone in Malaysia where I bought them. And drew blanks all over.

Just a note they are very good tyres clear and grip well as they have soft walls the problem is they are not tall enough when you compete with fedimas in the bogs. However you don't need to change ring and pinions.

I would say that Simex tick all the boxes except the price one.