TD5 Thermostat?

petrolhead63

I noticed my TD5 disco is not warming up on the temperature guage for many miles then suddenly the needle rises to normal. I know the waether is cold but this can be some 7 or 8 miles running. I have seen a drop of fel consumption to of about 2-3mpg which is interesting.

It could be a dodgy temperature sensor only but I suspect not, they tend to work or not work.

I thought the thermostat may be sticking open from the previous drive allowing the radiator open and then freeing off and controlling flow to the radiator as needed? any thoughts??

pon checking th manual I need to remove the viscous coupling, apparantly with a special tool. What is needed, will a little common sense overcome this.

Could be. A slim 36mm spanner is what is needed for the fan, available from Halfords for about a tenner, the special tool bit is only required if some numpty has done the nut up stupidly tight and is then needed to lock the pulley but you could probably improvise something. Done up sensibly, the tension of the belt on the pulley will hold it.

Could be. A slim 36mm spanner is what is needed for the fan, available from Halfords for about a tenner, the special tool bit is only required if some numpty has done the nut up stupidly tight and is then needed to lock the pulley but you could probably improvise something. Done up sensibly, the tension of the belt on the pulley will hold it.

thanks, I hope it is the thermostat! I think I have a nasty 36mm spanner so will attack it with a grinder if it is too thick!...does it need to be very slim?

I noticed my TD5 disco is not warming up on the temperature guage for many miles then suddenly the needle rises to normal. I know the waether is cold but this can be some 7 or 8 miles running. I have seen a drop of fel consumption to of about 2-3mpg which is interesting.

It could be a dodgy temperature sensor only but I suspect not, they tend to work or not work.

I thought the thermostat may be sticking open from the previous drive allowing the radiator open and then freeing off and controlling flow to the radiator as needed? any thoughts??

pon checking th manual I need to remove the viscous coupling, apparantly with a special tool. What is needed, will a little common sense overcome this.

And don't forget it is a normal i.e. bash the spanner from the right [as you face the car] to undo

I noticed my TD5 disco is not warming up on the temperature guage for many miles then suddenly the needle rises to normal.

Hi

My TD5 does this. I think I read that this is normal behaviour as there is some sort of bypass going on in the cooling system to help the car warm up initially. The cooling system then fully opens up which is why the needle then suddenly rises to normal.

Maybe someone could clarify this.

Cheers

Andy

Guest DiscoTD4

I remember that my TD5 used to take around 3-4 miles to warm up fully, from new. Certainly not 7-8 miles though.

I have recently changed the stat on my TDi300 and upon removal found it was not shutting off completely and was stuck open a couple of millimeters. Having measured the gap and circumference it equated to having a 12mm bore pipe bypassing the stat.

The symptoms were an extended warm up time, although it would reach running temp eventualy. Also during warm up the top hose was getting warm before the stat should have been opening, which was another give away.

Cheers

A few months ago I changed the thermostat in my 2001 Td5 routinely - but the temp gauge still takes a few miles before reaching the halfway point where it then remains .

I reckon the water circulating in the cylinder block is heated up - the output from the heater will confirm this .

If you wanted you could remove the cooling fan altogether for the winter and this would improve warm up time .

As someone mentioned on another forum re the 300Tdi ( and would also apply to the Td5 )for example the cooling system was designed to cross the Sahara so will be overcooling in our parts of the world .

I would also suggest that how soon the gauge reaches normal will depend on how hard the engine is working - crawling along in traffic / driving on flat roads will take a long time to reach normal if at all as the engine is not generating much heat .

• 7 years later...