How much lift do I need?

Brookers

I'm looking at going up to a set of 37" creepy's on my disco 1 but i'm unsure how much lift I will need to give enough room to let the front end articulate properly. I'm going to fit a set of extended arches to make room for them. I know that I need more than 2" of lift but how much more? 3", 4"?

At the moment I'm thinking that 4" of lift should be enough, am I right? if so how should I go about it? 4" on the suspension with a combination of spacers and 2" lift kit? Im aware of the work needed with props, castor angle panhard rod etc.

Also what mods can I do to the inner arches to improve things?

Thoughts and comments please

Cheers Brookers

i wouldnt have thought that 4 inches lift alone would be sufficient if you want it to articulate 'properly'. no direct experience of this myself, but your main problem will be any amount of up travel. regardless of the arches being cut and flared, I dont think the inner arches themselves are big enough on the inside to accommodate 37s... If its only downtravel you crave, then you'd probably be fine but imo its only half the picture. id be only too happy to be corrected though!

I have 35/11.5 simex on my rrc with 70mm on spring lift and extended arches. They work fine, no major probs. With 37" tyres you would need a 4" lift, 2 on the body and 2 on the springs. However, the centre of gravity would be very high making it unstable and the tyres would still probably catch on the front inner arch footwell. Steering lock would be seriously limited as well. I personally would recommed 35's as they are a good all round size to fit which can be done pretty easily and cost effective.

• 1 month later...

you dont need to lift it in my view

it just makes it harder to get over bumps etc

which makes you as a driver more skilled ;) the camel trophy ones were never lifted and they got everywhere they tried

if you want one have a 2" lift as any more can make the steering go wrong unless you get the relevant radius arms which costs upwards of £200

mikey